1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

anzac day

Discussion in 'Lounge Area' started by bill newton, Apr 25, 2011.

1. bill newton

bill newton Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Wamuran
    just back from the wamuran anzac day service - its getting bigger every year -- probably 1000 people this year -- very moving!!!!

carna pies!!!!drinkanimdrinkanimdrinkanim

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Got up early and watched it on TV.....very moving also. A great event.
    Yesterday saw a piece on the atomic tests at Maralinga. It is a disgrace that we have not looked after those people and I hope they bore it up the disgusting poms...

3. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    We took our kids, 9 and 7, to their first dawn service while we were away up the coast on Easter hol's.

The town is a little fishing village with a population of 250, during holidays the pop' swells to about 1000-2000 (depending on the time of year)... I reckon there was easily 300+ people at the dawn service... I was amazed when we arrived at about 5.50am, in the pitch black and cold, to see so many people show up at a dawn service in a town where they don't even live. There was a crowd of people walking from the caravan park where we were staying, to the park where the ceremony was held.

4. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    I'm a pom Murray and from what I have read you disgusting Aussies didn't exactly put up much of a fight. How dare you blame a whole nation for the actions of a group of British, American and Australian politicians, scientists and military leaders. I have never seen such a bigoted remark on a forum. BTW I hope you feel as sorry for the victims of the American nuclear test program that developed the weapons that brought about an end to WWII, without which Australia may have become part of the Japanese empire.

Of the 2,044 nuclear weapons tests worldwide, there have been 711 in the atmosphere or underwater: 215 by the U.S., 207 by the Soviet Union, 21 by Britain, 45 by France and, 23 by China.

This website is turning into a rather nasty soap box and seems to be less about Aquaponics as the months go by.

5. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    With regard to preventing nuclear testing.

6. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Sorry if I offended you Peter...nothing personal against you or any other individual Englishman.....it is the system that I am disgusted with and I would have thought that would have been obvious.

And by the way, I am only second generation Australian, all my grandparents emigrated out here. Ten pound poms as they were called. So I do feel I can have an opinion about the poms if I wish....I guess I qualify to be one..
    I actually can get a British passport if I want one and my Pilots licence (now expired) has me listed as "British" nationality.

And re the content of the forum....yes there is far ranging discussion from time to time...we do have some members who hold some pretty strong views about some subjects....that is what the "Lounge" are is all about, where members can have a bit of a rant if the want to do so. It comes and it goes. We have a policy of not being too restrictive and I feel it self regulates pretty well most of the time.

Once again, sorry if some posts are offensive to you but there is really no need to be offended.

7. trebel

trebel Member

belgium
    State:
    w vlaanderen
    City:
    zedelgem
    Dear friends.
    I live at Flanders fields between hundreds cemeteries with millions of fallen soldiers of WW1 and WW2 of all races from all countries in the world.
    Every year I visit the grave of John Condon to report that there is still war caused by about 100 idiots and millions of dumb guys walking blind in the same old trap.
    the 100 idiots die of old age in their beds rich and the millions of dummies for slaughter die in obscurity.
    as long as we(the stupids)do not change,there will always be wars,because you can not change 100 idiots who control the money and always want more and more,never enough.
    So do you belong to those 100 idiots who start wars or to the millions of dumb guys fight over who's done what to who or whatever happened in history or will in the future.
    We are now clever enough to know better.
    Stop with it or it is game over for everyone.
    Peace among us is the solution and leave the fallen comrades sleep.

http://www.scottishloyalists.com/condon.htm

and now a bit of fiddling with aquaponics.NICE.
    cheers.
    trebel.

8. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    Hi Trebel,

Well spoken!. Murray, I'm sorry I spoke so harshly. I just feel that in both wars, men of all nations were thrown into harms way and I don't think that the troops of any army involved in the 1st or 2nd world wars or any war since has had an easy ride. I don't think you can come through a ground or sea campaign that has seen heavy action without some kind of damage.

As a pom coming to Australia I have learned of the sacrifices made by Australian and New Zealand troops that have given us the country that we enjoy today and even though it has its issues, is still one of the most desirous places to live in the world.

What upset me as i'm sure many poms would agree is that while we remember the thousands of soldiers that died in the trenches in WWI and at the Normandy landings (and I know that many diggers died there too on that terrible day), there seems to be a very anti-British undercurrent around Anzac day that I feel is directed at a nation rather than a group of individuals. Having lost my grandfather in the war I feel quite insulted when some "David Kosh" types question the role of the British at Gallipoli as if all poms were to blame. Many sons, brothers, farthers and husbands were being thrown into machine gun fire in Europe on the orders of incompetent Generals at the same time. It was a time of global suffering not just in Australia, although there were many tragic events in Australia's history at the time.

I am not trying to take anything away from the sacrifice the diggers made for our country, but I would like to acknowledge the sacrifice of the European and US troops who also made our freedom possible.

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Peter,
    It does get a bit much lately, all the hype around ANZAC day.
    I do love the ANZAC tradition and am proud of it all, but it appears that it is becoming a bit of a "media" event.
    The way it is being "done" these last few years, I feel, is beginning to make the day into a Hollywood event, and actually diminishing it's dignity.
    Yet another event that is becoming a tool in the TV ratings war.

I am aware that I am on dangerous ground to voice such an opinion, but I have a few mates who are starting to feel a little uncomfortable. It is a very good thing to give recognition to our servicemen and women. They are Heros, but genuine heros rarely like a lot of attention.

Kosh....well, he is a goose by any measure. When his face appears on the box the flicker is quickly in hand.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi Everyone,

Another year has passed and I've had the privilege to attend several ANZAC Day dawn services over the years. The pleasing thing that strikes me is the wide cross section of people, particularly the young families of which there have been and are plenty that come to respect our diggers.

To all our armed forces personnel who have been and are at war to give us the freedom we enjoy today... Thank you...

[​IMG]

We will remember them.

bundynbeaches likes this.
  11. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yup... Ditto BD.

Went to our local dawn service with the family this morning, currently watching the Anzac Day game... Go the Pies!... and I'm about to crack a froffy or three and raise a glass to the Diggers... It's because of them we can all do these things.

...................................................................drinkanimdrinkanimdrinkanim
    Anzac Day resize.PNG

bigdaddy likes this.
  12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Yeah Yabbies....

I'm watching the footy as I type here...Did you see the 1/2 time special of those heroes who fought the Coral sea?...Still living the nightmare now?...My heart goes out to them...

Rooting for the pies today...

Cheers.

13. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I did mate... Same.