1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

    We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

    We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea on these shrooms?

Discussion in 'What plant is that ?' started by Grimgrak, Apr 22, 2012.

  1. Grimgrak

    Grimgrak New Member

    Sep 23, 2011
    Are they safe? Any recipe suggestions? ;) Not the exploded ones in the back obviously.
  2. Grimgrak

    Grimgrak New Member

    Sep 23, 2011
  3. StevenBris

    StevenBris Member

    Jan 27, 2012
    They look very much like a Russian mushroom that is poisonous. The best advice with any fungi is if any doubt DON'T. I've gone mushroom hunting many times in both Russia and Australia but only with very experienced people. Some very poisonous species are almost identical to safe species and it takes a skilled eye to notice the differences.
  4. Murray

    Murray Site Admin Staff Member

    Jun 4, 2009
    I would not touch them with a 40 foot pole. Too risky. It is even risky for anyone to give them a positive endorsement.... even a mild one. On the news only a couple of weeks ago people died from eating field picked mushrooms.
  5. DaveOponic

    DaveOponic New Member

    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm with Murray on this one. Don't even lick your fingers after handling them.
    Buy a mushroom kit. Grow your own.
  6. LifeAquatic

    LifeAquatic New Member

    Dec 23, 2011
    Unless you're a Mycologist, or experienced with taking spore prints, or have a couple of super reliable guidebooks, plus a friend who know what they're doing, and can back you up.. Don't mess with Mushrooms! The difference between poison, and edible an be a slight shade of brown..
    However, growing your own really is simple!
  7. Rob's Green Thumb

    Rob's Green Thumb New Member

    Mar 29, 2012
  8. oceansgreen

    oceansgreen New Member

    Jun 9, 2011
    i cant personally ID them but to get an accurate ID on fungi its best if you have pics of:
    1: the mushroom in its environment and WHERE you found it (country, state/providence, city, side of town, type of climate you are in)
    2: the gills
    3: the joining of the cap and stem
    4: a picture after the mushroom is cut lengthwise
    5: a spore print
    6: any other information you can get on it

    some mushrooms are easily recognizable and some can call it based on one image but others have plenty of look-a-likes both poisonous and non

    as far as safe goes, until you know dont eat it but touching it isnt going to cause a problem and it is more than likely doing more GOOD than harm for your soil and plants

    plus its really hard to get rid of mushrooms without completely killing off the soil altogether, the mushroom you are seeing is comparable to an apple on an apple tree, you can do anything you want to the mushrooms but its not gonna kill em to stomp, pull, crush, cut or anything else so despite the fact its terrible for your soil to get rid of them its also not worth all the work nessacary
  9. Trewarin

    Trewarin Member

    Aug 1, 2012
    Mate, with all the "look-alikes" most edible varieties have that are deadly, it's not worth it.

    You CAN however grow your own mushrooms for kitchen use, look up PF TEK on the google.

Share This Page