1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Amusing video re bottled water quality

Discussion in 'Lounge Area' started by Yabbies4me, May 19, 2015.

1. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
  2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    I can't believe I watched almost that whole video. I should have known by the early sound of ignorance ringing in my ears that it was not going to end intelligently. I want those minutes back in my life please!

3. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Sorry!... :D

Did you watch the whole thing... including the chicken poop bit?

4. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Yep. Her ignorance knows no bounds. Whoever sold her that meter should be ashamed of himself. Like giving the car keys to a toddler.

5. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    PS. My dogs say chicken poop is yummy :D. So what's her point lol.

6. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I had a dog that ate it's own poop......TDS? What in your opinion Yabbies could be the most likely mineral that will give high TDS for her teste? Calcium?

7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Most likely Calcium and/or Magnesium... possibly some Potassium, Sodium, or Chloride as well. Nothing that's going to harm you in the concentrations that would be present... There would be more in Banana.

The reading she got after dissolving the chook poop would most likely be Phosphates, as well as some, or all of the above.

The organic matter and bacteria in the chook poop, the stuff that would make you crook, wouldn't be measured by the TDS meter. She has absolutely no idea what she's talking about... and will be lucky if she doesn't receive a letter from one or more of the companies lawyers, especially as most bottled waters are owned by large multi-national beverage companies such as Coca Cola Amatil etc.

Edit: Further to this conversation... I have a bottle of "Aussie Natural Spring Water" here.

The ingredients are listed as: Natural Spring Water

The typical analysis is listed as:

Chloride: 49 mg/L
    Sodium: 32 mg/L
    Magnesium: 4.2 mg/L
    Calcium: 1.9 mg/L
    Bicarbonate: 20 mg/L
    Potassium: 1.2mg/L

So a total of 142.8 mg/L... basically about middle of the road for the readings she was getting for most of the bottle waters she tested (91 ppm – 189 ppm).

All she had to do was read the typical analysis on the label and she could’ve gotten the reading without a TDS meter… none of which is organic waste, as she is insinuating.

8. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Freak shows.
    I couldn't bring myself to watch such things what are you guys doing?drinkanim:)