1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Zucchini problem

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Bajamat, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Bajamat

Bajamat New Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi guys I have just got home from a hoilday for a week to find that my zucchini plants are looking real average seem like the have a white powder all over them I also have lost one of my jades which I'm just hoping was from the cold weather in Brisbane ATM (the tank does have a 1500w heater as well) I have checked the water and it seems all fine as well any help would be great

Attached Files:

gpk likes this.
  2. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    You've got powdery mildew! It's annoying and can be persistent, but the treatment is easy - either get a safe fungicide from your local big box shop (you want potassium bicarbonate, EcoRose is the pre-mixed version available at Bunnings but it's expensive, look for the powdered version and mix it in water yourself) or make your own (1 tablespoon of baking soda to 4 liters of water, add about half a teaspoon of pure liquid soap or a tablespoon of neem oil to make it stick). Pull off the worst affected leaves and throw them away (not in your compost, put them in the council bin) and spray your fungicide all over the rest, top and bottom surfaces, until they're starting to drip. Wait about a week, then spray again if you need to.

If the mildew is looking worse and it hasn't been a week since you last sprayed the potassium bicarbonate, you can alternate it with milk - about one part full cream milk to ten parts water, spray it on the same way.

Things to watch out for:
    - Try not to get much spray on your media or in your water; bicarbonate will mess with your pH, soap or oil are Not Good in your water, and the milk will rot and smell horrible. :sick: You can put newspaper or similar under the plants on top of your media to catch the drips.
    - Don't spray if it's sunny, wait until midafternoon or later if it's a clear day.
    - If you see little yellow and black ladybugs on your plants, try not to drown them with your spray - those actually eat powdery mildew without harming the leaves!

gpk likes this.
  3. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    And add some air movement across the plants. Moving air will help prevent powdery mildew. Dropping the humidity will help quite a bit as well when indoors, but it kinda looks like your bed is outside so that may not be an option.

gpk likes this.