1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Yelowbelly / Golden Perch Info

Discussion in 'What Fish is that ?' started by simonavc, Sep 30, 2010.

1. simonavc

simonavc New Member

Hey All, Hopeing to start another decent threat for reference.

Please post any secret tidbits, advice, growth rates, min max temps
    best feed, largest size, compatability, stocking density etc.
    Any info you can provide could help us newbies along with few losses.

Also please post pics of your fish at varous stages.

2. dufflight

dufflight Member

They don't like pellets. A lot of care has to be taken to get them onto pellets. If not they will just turn belly up.

3. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Not a fish suited to aquaponics, or even RAS....

4. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Gonna be a short thread I reckon Simon. Maybe think of another fish to grow ;)

5. Phil BP

Phil BP New Member

According to ausyfish Golden perch are very suitable to aquaponics, they think they have great potential. They also sell fingerlings which are already weaned to .8mm pellets.

6. dufflight

dufflight Member

Its getting them onto pellets thats the problem. I have one GP that eats pellets. You have to also look at how many fingerlings they go through to get some onto pellets. The Cod I got the other day were in a tank that had to have dead fingerlings removed a couple of times a day. And out of the 70 I got home at least 20 are gone allready. I'm giving GP a go later but will take extra time to get them onto pellets. But at the end of the day SP take to pellets and out of the 300 ish I picked up with the cod I haven't lost one yet.

7. Phil BP

Phil BP New Member

Hey Duff What type of pellets do you use ? I have 100 GP arrived 2 days ago havent lost any yet but also havent seen them feeding. Water temp is pretty low at 13 so I thought they might be a bit slow to feed. What do you think ?
    Phil

8. dufflight

dufflight Member

I'm putting my pellets in the blender with some egg whites. For GP I'd blend the pellets or soak them with some fish meal or blood worms. Once they get used to feeding then cut slowly back to the pellets etc.

9. Phil BP

Phil BP New Member

Hi Duff
    Whats the reason for blending with egg whites ?

10. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Yep, they sell them weaned onto a starter pellet... but 20% will go off the pellet inside of a month, another 40% within six months... another 20% will get eaten by other Golden Perch...

They're notoriously difficult even in the best RAS aquaculture systems... and even in dams, 20% survival is probably typical...

Murray started with 50, has 6 left... http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=10460&postcount=7

And that's a pretty good/typical result...

11. Phil BP

Phil BP New Member

OK Thanks for that info. Clearly I have made a beginers mistake by getting GP !!!. If I were to get some silver perch to fill out my numbers does anyone know how well they would go with any of the GP that might survive, or is there a fish that would be a better choice ?

12. dufflight

dufflight Member

Smaller and softer bits and high in protein.

13. simonavc

simonavc New Member

Is the main drama with the GP the feed?
    I dont mind getting them live feed if that is what they like.
    I have access to feeder fish and glass shrimp etc.
    I was hopeing to avoid buying comercial food anway.
    The GP fingerlings are a strange little fish, mine are often stacking themselves in large number head down around the insect mesh I use on to cover my pumps. The remain motionless for hours.
    I guess beginners should really just stick to silvers and jades. These seem on the surface at least to be pretty easy species. I'll try and get a few when they become avalable.

14. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Golden Perch prefer a live feed...

15. simonavc

simonavc New Member

A pic of the GP fingerlings.

Attached Files:

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    How's your GP going Simon?

Cheers.

17. marty01

marty01 New Member

Greetings all!.Just reading all the posts regarding Goldens.. I purchased 100 of the little suckers in August from Ausfish. Water temp at the time was around 12 deg so i put the into an aquarium at 20 deg. I have recently graded them into 3 groups <40mm, 40-60mm, >60mm. needless to say the +60mm class has 'bout 20 fish. the <40 (runts) have been relegated to the fishpond to fend for themselves. I'm feeding them 1.8 sinking from Skretting. although growth rate has improved slightly with increased Temp( currently +22) they are still small and I'm thinking of moving them to another tank and go with a species more suited to AP.

18. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

You've done extremely well to still have 60 Goldens out of 100 since August....

Although I suspect that is probably more due to the water temp and associated lack of feed response... than luck...

With increased temps... I'd be surprised if a LOT more don't go off the pellet.... and start cannabalising the others...

19. marty01

marty01 New Member

GP's

Thanks John for your comments although not encouraging news for the long term!!:>) Have had all sorts of trouble keeping them on pellets tho. to boost the pellets palatability I periodically squish up worms with the pellets. seems to be working. The little devils won't take to floating food tho. I have added 50 Silvers in with the >60 GPs to train them to eat floating however the reverse has happened. I think I'll starve them for a few days and see what happens

20. oceansgreen

oceansgreen New Member

so, what kind of live feed would they eat? that may help to answer some people's questions, and if simple enough help them keep away from commercial fish feed...