1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Year round greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Strattoninc, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Strattoninc

Strattoninc New Member

USA
    State:
    Kansas
    City:
    Ottawa
    Okay, so I am planning to build an Indy 11.5 system in my backyard, and am planning to put up a simple green house to house it. The low temperatures during the winter can be single digits (F) with the occasional night getting down into -5 to 10. I think that with the thermal mass of the water of the system Plus a few other simple heating options (rabbits, Quail, compost), other than extreme cold snaps, I should be able to keep it warm during the winter. I may have to heat the water some depending on what fish I raise. I also plan to raise cold-weather crops through the winter months.

My main concern at this point is how to keep it cool during the summer. To maintain the benefit of minimal insect infestation I have to come up with a way to keep the greenhouse closed or at least screened through the summer. Our summer temperatures average the mid 90s with days over 100 not being uncommon. I'm just not sure whether shade cloth and venting will keep the temperature down to where it needs to be. At this point, a commercial fogging/misting system is not a financial option. I live in Kansas where the humidity is far too high to use any sort of swamp cooler. Some of the shade options concerned me because I'm afraid they will block too much sunlight for the sun loving summer crops that I plan to grow.

I would love to consider geothermal options or digging my greenhouse into the ground about 6 feet but, I live in a city that is extremely touchy about everything! I'm already pushing the envelope by having my greenhouse. So, I need to come up with some other practical options for cooling.

I would love to hear any of your advice especially if you are someone who has some experience in this area of year around greenhouse growing in a humid climate!

Thanks!

2. Glen Bryan

Glen Bryan VIP Supporter

USA
    State:
    Idaho
    City:
    Boise
    I have the same temperature ranges here except for little humidity. From what I've read 40 or 50% white shade cloth should work. Since the poly carbonate isn't 100% clear I was figuring to use the 40% white. This'll be the first summer since I built it so we'll see. I figured I would latch the door open during the day as well.