1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Yabbie's 2nd Indoor IBC System at Perth Aquaponics

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by Yabbies4me, May 18, 2018.

1. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Just a quick pic update of the IBC display system.

The Rainbow Trout have finally had to come out of the system, the water has gotten too warm and they stopped feeding, albeit about two months later than usual.

The largest one went 855grams.

Attached Files:

2. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    … and they cooked up nicely.

Attached Files:

3. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    As per usual, it's been way too long since my last update... Better late than never!

Since the Trout were removed from the system at Xmas it sat fishless for 2.5 months. Basically it was given a couple of capfuls of Seasol per week and the occasional dash of Peroni or Swan Draught which had been pre-filtered through my kidneys, if you get what I mean... :whistle:

During this period the GB wasn't fully planted out. Much of the nutrient removal was done by a number of indoor plants, Syngoniums etc, whose pots I'd half sunken into the gravel so they'd get watered while we were away for the Xmas-New Year break. They were well attached by the time we got back after New Years, consequently they are still currently in the GB. They will have to removed soon, it's on my to-do list, but is going to be a mammoth job, their root systems are huge now.

About a month a go I added a few 12-15cm Silver Perch fingerlings to the system. They are growing well. About the same time I also added some veggie seedlings, ie: Celery, Greek Basil, Thai Basil, Cos lettuce, a Habanero chilli and some Rainbow Chard.

I'd never heard of Greek Basil before, so thought I'd give it a whirl. It's doing very well. It is the plant towards the left rear in the 1st and 2nd pic, to the left of the Celery, behind the Thai Basil. The Rainbow chard can be seen hiding in the right rear corner in the 1st and 2nd pic. Overall, the plants currently in the system are all doing very well.

Cheers!

Hayden.
    Perth Aquaponics - IBC display system - 15-04-19 c resized.jpg Perth Aquaponics - IBC display system - 15-04-19 b resized.jpg Perth Aquaponics - IBC display system - 15-04-19 a resized.jpg

4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Another pic update of the system... It's been just over three weeks since the last and have a look at the growth that's taken place... It's going nuts... I'll have to bite the bullet very soon and clean out the Syngoniums and Devil's Ivy etc, and the Celery before it's root system gets too big and established.

There is a slight Calcium and/or Mg deficiency happening with the Greek Basil and Thai Basil, it can be seen in the pic. I have added a little Ca & Mg, so we'll see how that goes.

Attached Files: