1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Winter growth

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Ringer, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi,
    It's turning cold (for Queensland anyway) my water is getting as low as 9 degrees yet I'm amazed that my plants are still not only growing but flowering and fruiting . Is this normal? The plants in the gardens (eg tomatoes) are all but dead. I've attached a few pics from today. Does anyone know of any issues I may run into over winter?
    Cheers image.jpg
    Zucchini (3weeks old)
    image.jpg
    Habanero chillies growing crazy (nearly 3mnths old) image.jpg
    NFT lettuce 3rd week in chives and thyme also shown. image.jpg
    GB's tomatoes and giant belle peppers around 12 weeks old image.jpg
    Celery around 6 weeks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yes, here in SEQ the system will still keep going all be it a bit slower than in summer. Supplementation will become necessary because the fish will dramatically slow down their food intake so nutrient generation will suffer.....unless you keep the water temps just above 20c, then the Jades and Silvers will keep eating.
    A good thing about winter here in SEQ is we are almost bug-free.

3. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    *I've been noticing the lack of bugs the last few weeks (literally none) , will I have pollination issues with setting fruit like tomatoes as they're flowering still ?
    *My lettuce is growing well but the heavy rain we've been having really damages the leaves . *Correct me if I'm wrong but zucchini doesn't seem to like the cold at all , they seem to be growing and dying at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    9 degrees thats like my top water temp atm,
    im dosing with warm water batches most nights before it gets really cold :)

current temp is 6.5... SP's, MC's and Eel tailed cats are still hanging in there and start to look at food around 10 degrees

5. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    The tomatoes at least don't need insects to pollinate them so long as they get jostled around a bit - wind will do it, or you shaking the stems a bit. A lot of people who grow tomatoes commercially in greenhouses go around with an electric toothbrush to vibrate each plant! :LOL:

ETA: found a few mentions on here:
    http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/threads/tomatoes-lots-of-flowers-but-no-fruit.1952/#post-22929
    http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/threads/tomato-plants-question.7650/#post-78782
    http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/...the-deep-end-here-goes.2114/page-5#post-31861