1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Will Copper coil be toxic to fish?

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Ronald Lao, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Ronald Lao

Ronald Lao Member

Philippines
    State:
    Not Applicable
    City:
    Pasig City
    To cool my water, I was thinking of using a converted window air conditioner to cool a tub of water and using the cool water as a water bath for my nutrients. I don't have any stainless steel coils readily available but copper coils can be bought relatively easily.

My question is... Will the copper coils in contact with the nutrients for cooling purposes be harmful for the plant or fish?

P. S. to Admin: If this thread should be in the fish or water department just move it over.

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is not desirable but in limited contact you will be OK. I have done similar to that but for heating and it was OK.

3. Ronald Lao

Ronald Lao Member

Philippines
    State:
    Not Applicable
    City:
    Pasig City
    Would it help if I lightly coated the copper with paint (latex maybe?). Although I don't know if the paint itself will be more harmful of the two. hehe.

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yes, you could make it worse. Just go with the copper. Copper is antibacterial so it will most likely kill bacteria that actually comes in contact with it, but the system should have a very large population of bacteria. But moderation in all things. I would be more inclined to find some stainless if you possibly can, but if you can't do the best you can with what you have.

Ronald Lao likes this.
  5. Dagger564

Dagger564 New Member

USA
    State:
    Missouri
    City:
    Smithville
    Too much heavy metals in the water can hurt the fish by cutting tissue in the gills just be careful

6. Ronald Lao

Ronald Lao Member

Philippines
    State:
    Not Applicable
    City:
    Pasig City
    Thanks for all the input. I got "scared" enough so I decided to insulate my copper from the rest of the system by making the copper cool a stainless container and having the fish tank water travel around the container to cool it down.

[​IMG]