1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

When To Start a new System ?

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by stuey, Apr 22, 2013.

1. stuey

stuey Member

After seeing an Aquaponics system at the Royal Easter Show i was hooked and have been reading up on it ever since. Now i have got the wife convinced it is a great idea i am looking at getting my own system.
    I know i can get the grow beds tank etc at any time but looking at the online fish sellers i seemed to have missed the boat on this years fingerlings beganim

My first choice of Fish was trout but living in Penrith , NSW i think my tank will get too warm in summer as my 60,000l pool hits 30 deg at times.
    So my second choice is Jade Perch, has anyone had success with these in Sydney?

Anyway back to my original question, Is it better i wait till later on in the year when fingerlings are available again or do i get a system now and keep it going with Seasol?

2. benwalters

benwalters Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bowraville
    Hi Stuey, Never too soon to plan a system.
    How big a back yard have you got ?
    are veges or the fish your priority?
    any idea on what size tanks /grow beds you are interested in ?
    pics of your backyard would be good also

I think the idea with trout in NSW is you grow them for 5-6 months then harvest, you need temps below 20c for this time
    This is probably best achieved if you put large fish tank in ventilated / insulated shed on a slab or buried into ground
    the man to speak to about this would be RupertofOz

If you dont want to grow trout then try to optimise your set up for winter warmth and cool in summer - either way the bigger fish tank the more moderation of temp,

good luck with it
    cheers ben

3. stuey

stuey Member

Back yard is not the Biggest area, i was planning on putting the system on the pool side of my pool fence to be extra safe with my 2 year old son + another on the way.
    Saying that the area i have earmarked for the system will comfortablly take the Maximus system which is the one I have been looking at.
    Veges and Fish would probably take equal priority or maybe a little bias towards Fish.

Going off my pool temperatures Below 20 deg would be no problem in Penrith for 6 months of the year, would the trout grow much in that time, what about the other 6 months?

I am not too keen on burying the tank as i have no idea what is down there as i think the previous residents used the area as a rubbish tip...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. benwalters

benwalters Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bowraville
    Hi stuey,
    Murray will give advice re. optimal siting of system
    apparently trout can be harvested in 5-6 months, but they may not be a good species for a beginner and would be marginal in your area
    i think 20 degrees is lethal for them
    (having said this wait for someone with some experience to chip in , and it may be that with good preparation and management you could pull it off)

(also small fish tank may heat up a lot more than pool during the day sue to volume and depth of water)

And as you say you need to find other fish for summer after trout are harvested.......

Ive only grown silver perch and i can say that they are a tough fish is they can put up with me, (also slow growing over winter, but survive 5 degrees here)

if you want to grow Perch, best to choose a sunny spot, cause they eat more therefore grow more when water is high 20s

cheers
    ben

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Stuey, welcome to the forum.

You're not too late, in fact here in Perth most people still haven't put their Trout in yet because water temps have been too high, although they have started dropping dramatically in the last 4-5 days. Most are planning on getting them in this weekend. Trout can grow very quickly under ideal conditions, some people get them from 100mm fingerlings to edible size, around 350gm, in as little as 4 months, so if it took you a couple of weeks, even a month to get a system organised, I'm sure you could still get them to an edible size before the Sydney water temps get too high, I would guess some time in October. In the 6 month window we have here for Trout, some get them to 500gm+... even 700gm... but most are around 350-450gm.

Also, with water temps currently dropping, Trout are about your only option I would imagine. Silver fingerlings would probably perish during winter... and Jades wouldn't even be a consideration at this point.

I know many prefer to cycle the system before adding the fish, but this is not absolutely necessary... if you stock sensibly (see here) and are prepared and ready to take action (if required) during cycling, then you can successfully cycle a system with fish in place. This would enable you to put the fish in as soon as the system is built and save you about 3-4 weeks, possibly even 6 weeks at this time of year.

By "action" I'm talking about partial water changes if the Ammonia or Nitrite levels get too high, and by prepared I'm talking about having at least 1/3 your system's water capacity available in aerated, aged water... so a water ageing tank is required, this can be as simple as a 205L blue plastic drum (or drums) with a small pump and spray bar, or air pump.

If you could set the system up within the next few weeks I would go Trout, then when the water temps get above 22 deg in late spring, harvest the Trout and stick in some Silver perch maybe... I don't know if you'd get a long enough summer for Barra there in Sydney...others from the area may know.

Silvers will handle a wider range of water temps than Jades, I've had nothing to do with Jades, but from what I understand they like similar water temps to Barra and don't do well with water temps under 20 deg, about 17-18 deg is the bottom line for them... whereas Silvers will handle temps down about as low as 12-13 deg (will tolerate lower in short spells) and up to about 30 deg, in fact I know people here in Perth that run silvers in temps above that, some claim up to 35 deg water temp at the height of summer.

Cheers.

6. stuey

stuey Member

Thanks for the advice Yabbies,

As i suspected It looks like i have missed the boat this season, i do not want to rush into things and make a huge mess. I will have to be patient and take my time getting my system up and running around September / October.

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

New Zealand
    State:
    Auckland
    City:
    Auckland
    Hi Stuey,
    If you are "in between" seasons it might be a good idea to go for some hardy types of goldfish. They don't turn into eating fish but provide the nutrients to the system you need and they handle large temperature ranges unlike most other fish. Not sure what to do with them later though when other species come in. Lots of goldfish will attack/eat fingerlings. If you have an exit plan for the goldies you should be okay.

Regards, Martin.