1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

What a winter

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Robert123, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    America is set for the coldest month of the century as weather forecasters predict yet another freezing blast of Arctic air. Temperatures have already hit record lows, at times making parts of the U.S. colder than the North Pole, and are expected to plunge in the coming day - Yet here I am trying to raise tropical fish while growing plants in a greenhouse.

Sometimes I question my sanity :pompous:

2. Detlef InOz

Detlef InOz Member

run some black plastic pipes in the sun to collect some heat ?

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    That's great Robert, go against the flow. I just cannot imagine that kind of cold. Weren't we supposed to be having global warming? We have had it here in Brisbane this summer that is for sure. Very hot.

4. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately in these conditions the conductive heat loss outweighs the radiant heat gain from a black PVC solar sink. Still, with heaters the fish are quite happy. I keep their tanks out there warmer than my house lol.

I choose Tilapia because I like to eat tilapia and the system can easily be self sustained via breeding with only energy input. Just as a note to other new comers, the choice to push the aquaculture bent of AP can have a price to it. Had I used something more AP pure for my area such as bluegill my investment in power would be much MUCH lower. Still, people are amazed at what's growing in the greenhouse and the Tilapia are great fish. If we weren't planning on moving this year, I'd be building a very well insulated fish house :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. MartinC

MartinC Member

New Zealand
    State:
    Auckland
    City:
    Auckland
    Hi Rob, what move you planning? Local or a biggie? Just being curious.
    If you're moving I'm sure you can build an insulated fish house at your destination. :) Unless you're going to the tropics of course.

6. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Just local for the family - actually mainly just the wife & I now. 4 of 5 kids gone. Time to downsize the home - too much house. Staying with county living though. Like the privacy and the freedom.

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

New Zealand
    State:
    Auckland
    City:
    Auckland
    Sounds great. I long for country living. Stuck in the city at the moment. Have a long term plan of escape but doesn't really help right now. :)

Enjoy it.

Regards, Martin.

8. wedkm001

wedkm001 Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Barossa Valley
    Hi Robert,
    Hope you're staying warm - we have seen on our news broadcasts the chaos the freezing weather is having on your highways. We can't imagine that type of cold!
    Here in South Australia we are experiencing our 2nd extreme heatwave in 3 weeks, with temps over 40c for days. We struggle to keep our fish cold enough & the plants from scorching. One extreme to another!!!

Good luck managing your system :)

9. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Thanks. Made it thru thus far quite well. Havent even had to fire up the genny - or at least not yet ;)

While I like being hot, I'd rather be dealing with this cold than those fires. Stay safe. Wish we could just average out out temps with yours - then we'd all be in good shape :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. Pllatinum

Pllatinum New Member

I live in Minnesota, greenhouse is finished, my is warm and cycled, the plant just needs a bulkhead fitting and I'll be taking off shortly. There is indeed a certain lack of sanity that goes with it.

11. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Sure enough. What fish you using and what temps you gonna try to keep in the tank? Any idea what you power footprint is going to be?

12. Pllatinum

Pllatinum New Member

Blue tilapia for now. It takes about 1500 watts to keep the pond at 75 degrees. At this time it's not worth sustaining in the winter, until I can get a few hundred fish in there. The pond holds about 650 gallons. It's in a 10x20' pvc hoop greenhouse.

13. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    1500 watts for 75 F at this time year is pretty impressive up there. It's taking me 2 KW down here for the same temp (or even more when the lows are in the single digits for a sustained 3 days or more).

14. Pllatinum

Pllatinum New Member

I have my pond heavily insulated--an R value of 20. What's nice is that it keeps the greenhouse warmish. When it was -25 F outside a few weeks back, it was 25 degrees inside...

I don't know why I live here.

15. Bill C

Bill C Member

Its Tuesday evening here and another cold snap is on the way. All the schools are already closed for tomorrow, just got an emergency call from the county saying they expect 6 to 10 inches of snow tomorrow. I know that doesn't sound like much compared to Minnesota but we aren't set up to handle that much, 1 to 2 inches shuts us down. And again, I am glad I shut my system down for the winter.

16. columnmn

columnmn Member

I'd love a cold snap. Adelaide heat waves are getting frustrating.

I wonder what our winter will be like which such a hot summer.

Although, despite the heat, I'm amazed at the ability of my AP to stand up to it. I walk outside and go blah, and the plants are standing up happily.

17. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
  18. GrowTech

GrowTech Member

Robert,

Is just your greenhouse by itself enough to sustain an acceptable temperature range for plant growth? Or are you heating/cooling inside the greenhouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    The heat from the fish tanks kept the greenhouse warm enough until....

We hit single digit F temps one night. I didn't have the air movement fans running. Greenhouse dropped below 32 and I lost almost 3/4 of crop due to frostbite on the plants.

Overall, poor greenhouse design. I'm leaving it withthe property I just sold and will build a bigger and better one at the new abode :)

20. GrowTech

GrowTech Member

Ouch, I bet that hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk