1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

ways to exclude fruit fly

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by bushboy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. bushboy

bushboy New Member

Although I have posted on this previously I think a repost is in order
    before the warmer weather really gets fruit fly going again

I have tried lots of fruit fly (ff) solutions - wild may traps eco-natralure etc
    but the best solution by far is as follows

equipment needed - star pickets
    - 50mm rural b pipe ( green or blue stripe ok)
    - fruit fly netting

after the fruit has set drive in the star pickets at each corner of the fruit tree
    the polypipe goes over 2 star pickets to form a loop and thus a dome
    (2 pieces of pipe onto 4 star pickets)

over this throw over the netting

leave in place until the fruit ripens

using this system I get all my fruit - peaches , feijoas , guavas - all unstung

photos tomorrow of a dome I left up from last season

happy to answer questions

Tom

2. bushboy

bushboy New Member

another try to upload a photo

Attached Files:

3. bushboy

bushboy New Member

ok - finally got a photo up

this one is 2 feijoas showing the hoop over star pickets with fruit fly netting in place

I actuallly screwed some timber on as well to brace it a bit but this isn't necessary really

Tom

4. Tsaphah

Tsaphah Member

Hi BB,

Up here in CQ, the sun is so darn hot it fries my veggies in the GB's and the water temp is already in the 20's. I am looking into using the same method with 30-50% shade cloth over the top. What spacing do you have between hoops?

It may either keep the kids out or provide a cool place for the kids to play! Called home just now to be told my 2 yo was found sitting in the one GB playing with the water!!! :roll: He already plays with the 3 red claw that are in the sump! If I asked him to let one pinch him there would have been tears, but out of his own, no worries.

5. bushboy

bushboy New Member

position the star pickets to clear the footprint of the fruit tree - my trees aren't too big
    but if you have really large fruit trees this would pose a problem

the poly pipe though flexible once attached over the star pickets is rigid enough for the purpose

Shade netting is a good idea - once pollination has happened a 50% shade up there would be ok
    I reckon ( not being a horticulturalist though)

Tom

6. Tsaphah

Tsaphah Member

Hi BB,

I want to use it over my grow beds and FT! Might not bring it all the way down to the ground though, want to allow good air flow to assist cooling, as even 50% forms a good wind block.

Thanks for the link to that one seed site, will be getting some Cape goosberry seed for sure!

Andrew

7. bushboy

bushboy New Member

I grew some cape gooseberries in my gb last year - unsuccessful -they got
    mutilated by some grub but now I have my gb screened I'll try again

love gooseberries!!

Tom

8. Tsaphah

Tsaphah Member

I grew up near Cape Town, South Africa, where they are native to, used to come home with T-shirt stuffed full of them, would grow wild in the bush behind the house. A friend of my mother would make jam from them, and it is still my favourite! Kids have aquired the tast for them too, now I have to share it!
    The other was rasberries, was scloded because could not finnish supper I had eaten so many. I think it is too hot and will not get cold enough here in Gladstone for rasberries. Will try pomegranits though.

Andrew

9. bushboy

bushboy New Member

there's a native raspberry that I am growing - rubus longifolius - it comes from up
    Atherton way so should be ok for you

the fruit are smaller but still quite sweet

Tom

10. bushboy

bushboy New Member

Just netted my tropical peach this am as the fruit has set
    -took less than 30mins

- drove in 4 star pickets
    -placed the polypipe over to form a dome
    -dragged over the ff netting

all stuff I used last season on this particular tree

the other benefit is that is keeps possums and birds out

the critical size for the netting is 2mm - mozzie netting is ok and readily available
    but I use polypropylene netting that is supposed to last 15yrs

Green Harvest has some bags and netting supplies but not the really wide and
    long rolls that you need to cover a serious fruit tree

I have used bags before but they are bit of a pain -bagging individual fruits
    -one year we bagged 100 feijoas but had to leave lots more as we ran out of bags

I am making further enquiries re the polypropylene netting

Tom

11. bushboy

bushboy New Member

ok - tracked down the invoice for the ff netting

it was from Garden Nursery Products ph 3287 4808
    PO Box 1040 Beenleigh
    info@GardenNurseryProducts.com.au

it was "Fruit Fly netting white knit 9.9m wide roll x 100m" - cost $1,526.12
    -this roll was cut into various lenghts for different club members

I don't konw if they do smaller quantities

after buying this roll the club scored way way more for nix
    -an insurance claim , where we went onto a farm on Mt Tamborine and loaded
    up with netting that had been blown off by a storm !

looks like mozzie netting would be cheaper but doesn't last as long

Tom

12. saila

saila New Member

13. Peter Wolfe

Peter Wolfe New Member

Hi Tom those dreaded fruit fly's, what a menace. I am getting heaps of males in my traps right now. Using the usual methods wild may etc. I was thinking along the same lines as you, so now it looks like a definite thing to do. I have already constructed a shade house for my wife, same concept as you have done with star pickets and shadecloth. So easy to do and doesn't take much time. And the wcb's are out in force around Kingston I have been using diatomaceous earth seems to work reasonably well. Plus the age old hand picking method.

Age and treachery overcomes youth and skill everytime

Cheers Pete:broc1: