1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Water parameters in a new system

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by lockymck1976, Jul 10, 2017.

1. lockymck1976

lockymck1976 New Member

australia
    State:
    queensland
    City:
    gladstone
    Hi everyone.
    My system consists of a 1000lt ibc fishtank, 200lt radial flow filter, 3 x 300mm deep ibc grow beds 3/4 full of 15-20mm blue metal gravel with the top 1/4 filled with scoria and they drain into a 700lt ibc sump.
    Have had the system built, set up and filled with water (not running) for about 6 months, while saving $ and getting the time to put media into grow bed.
    In this 6months, as you can imagine, my tanks and growbeds grew algae and the water filled with rubish.
    So now, this wekend, i cleaned all the algae out (scrubbed with new/clean scourer), changed and topped up about 1/3 of the water with aged, dechlorinated town water.
    Purchased the media and washed it all thoroughly and filled the growbeds.
    Turned pump on and watched the magic happen.
    Everything is running well, water is now clear and clean after 4 days.
    I have just completed a test on the water and the results have supprised me and also confused me.
    Ph is at 7.2, Ammonia is between 0.25 and 0.5, Nitrite at 0 and nitrate on close to 5.0.
    Any ideas as to why i would have Nitrates already?
    Should i just start a fishless cycle regardless?

Thanks in advance. Any comments advice welcome[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Over the period it was sitting dormant it may well have had an Ammonia source, ie: rotting leaves, bugs etc, or even frogs doing their business in there, so there may already be colony of Nitrifying bacteria present, albeit small. If so, it will develop very quickly now that there is media in the system.

Cleaning the algae off the walls also could've added some Ammonia into the water.

If your scheme water contains Chloramine this also would've introduced Ammonia into the system.

I would suggest adding a capful of Seasol Powerfeed (not standard Seasol at this point) every day, the re-test the Ammonia 24hrs later. Once you achieve 1.0ppm stop adding the Seasol and see how many days it takes for the Amm and corresponding Nitrite spike to drop to 0.0ppm. If the system already contained a beneficial bacteria colony the Amm and N02 should dissipate fairly quickly, if not then you'll just need to leave it to cycle.

3. lockymck1976

lockymck1976 New Member

australia
    State:
    queensland
    City:
    gladstone
    Thanks

4. shaycraig

shaycraig New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Brisbane
    Your ph is more like 7.8

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. lockymck1976

lockymck1976 New Member

australia
    State:
    queensland
    City:
    gladstone
    I will do another ph test using the high ph drops and see.
    Thanks.