1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Vermiculite

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by stuey, Jul 31, 2013.

1. stuey

stuey Member

Hi,

i am just about to purchase some vermiculite for my new wicking bed, should I buy fine , medium or course?

Thanks in advance

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Why vermiculite stuey?... I wouldn't use it, but if you're intent on it I would definitely use the coarse.

3. stuey

stuey Member

Doesn't Murray use Vermiculite? What would you suggest?

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yes I do , and I like it...but to each his own. Whatever works for you.

5. stuey

stuey Member

Thanks Murray, I think i will give it a go...

6. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!... I don't like it... probably just my bias from my hydroponic background. I stopped using it very early on in my hydroponic days, it holds too much water for my liking and it would also breakdown into a sludge in the bottom of the systems... but if Murray says it works well in wicking beds then go for it, he'd know, he has a lot more experience with wicking beds than I do.

7. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    You should also look at using gravel in the bottom of the wicking bed. And yes Yabbies is right it does (vermiculite) get messy after a while.

8. stuey

stuey Member

I eventullay went with a Perlite / Scoria Combo......

It seems to be wicking well but i suppose only time will tell Whistling

Next Project is my Aquaponics.....

20130803_151801.jpg 20130803_153437.jpg 20130803_153858.jpg 20130804_113149.jpg

9. Sam Burton

Sam Burton Member

I use coarse vermiculite with burlap as the wicking material. Next year I'm building some rather large beds and may try the gravel because it would be a lot harder to do maintenance on them should the vermiculite break down. Small 4 ft by 3 ft are not a big deal.