1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Using Cheap Paint Strainer to compost directly in the water...

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by great08, Jul 17, 2016.

1. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Mobile
    I am wondering if any of you folks are doing this and what were your results?

I feel that if this works it will bring the whole sustainability thing to another level for Aquaponics! Free and locally grow resources abound.

I currently have comfrey all over my yard and know that it is a great micro-nutrient accumulator(which is why I have it under my fruit trees). So... I am considering taking a few leaves every now and then and slipping them into a paint strainer bag or old onion bag and dipping them into one of the tanks like a great big old tea bag.

I know the leaves break down and almost liquefy as well.

I do hear that they smell when they are in compost but suspect that in moving/oxygenated water that will hopefully not be an issue.

Marty

2. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    I put another piece of pipe with a lid like the siphon guard in the corner of growbeds and drop banana skins ect down there to keep the worms going (this time of year my fish hardly feed at all) so they could work the same for you .

I also drop limestones in them sometimes to help with buffering easy to take them out again.

3. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Marty,
    Composting in your system will release tannic acids and ammonia into your water (tannic acid can drop you Ph and turn your water a tea colour). This is not necessarily a bad thing , if your Ph is high and your bio filter can handle the ammonia and convert it fast enough. The best plant to use in this manner to drop Ph , clear algae and remove accumulated phosphorus from your system is barley hay hung an onion bag. Keep if in a high flow area of your system and it'll work wonders. The hay needs to start decomposing to work , In summer it'll start working in a couple of weeks in winter can be up to a month. Give it ago (it's been used in aquaculture for years), just remove it once you get your desired result remove the bag or your Ph will continue to drop and your plants will develop difficiencies.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    gpk likes this.
  4. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Mobile
    Ahhh yes! I have definitely heard of folks throwing straw bales(chemical free) into their ponds to clear up the water... and to feed the micro-organisms/and protozoa. Which in turn feeds the smaller fish... which feeds the bigger fish. Thanks!

I purposely over achieved on getting the required amount of surface area for my system once the fish get mature by about 2.5 times with the gravel alone(not counting the tanks and pipes). Right now my fish are still small and my PH keeps hovering around 7.5 to 7.8.

So I may very well do this to get the protozoa built up in the system since they will free up the nutrients that the micro organisms lock up as they consume it.

My water is dark right now... but on purpose to keep the algae level down. I keep putting in a teaspoon of sea kelp powder every month or so. Algae levels are low. My tomatoes are loving the higher PH but the strawberries are not happy. I would like to get it down to 7 or so at least since I hear they like 6.0 or so. It (7.0) would be a happy medium for both the strawberries and tomatoes I hope.

Thanks!

Marty

5. great08

great08 New Member

U.S.
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Mobile
    OK. I just found some mini bales on Amazon for cheap. Each one treats up to 1000 gallons. $9 U.S. for the twin pack. I will use these first and then experiment in the future with the ornamental grass I have all over the yard. When it goes dormant every year I have been harvesting it for mulch in the garden. May use it in the aquaponics system too. Here is the Amazon link...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002568YK/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I may order some Gammarus Shrimp/Scuds for my system. Looks like they can consume heavily on leaves dropped into a tank. Scroll down to the bottom of the thread in this following link. There are some picks of leaves dropped into small tanks after 24hrs. The scuds would double as fish food as well.

http://community.theaquaponicsource...marus?id=4778851:Topic:359471&page=1#comments

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016