1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. baseman1703

baseman1703 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Karratha
    Hi all as I'm still new to AP already love it. My system is now moving along nicely. Every test is good and now have all but my Nitrates all where they should be Nitrates are around 80ppm. Ist this going to cause a problem. Feeding very little food for the fish. 4x mangrove Jack and some other not sure what they are total of around 10 fish. These were sourced from a local water hole. I live in Karratha so it's great I don't have to buy fish great local supply.
    Silverbeet tomatoes capsicum rosemary parsely lettuce strawberry.
    Really struggling to keep ph in check but getting there. Any help appreciated [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ...:thumbsup2:

What are you feeding the Jacks?

Without giving away your spot (we don't want every man and his dog down there fishing it out), if you caught them where I suspect you caught them, the other fish are most likely Tarpon, there's plenty of them in there, but there's also the occasional Bream, Fingermark and small Trevally. There's still a bit of salt in that particular series of waterholes, especially the most Northern one, so you may want to salt your water to 1gm per litre. Many people do this anyway, even with store bought Barra, Trout, Perch fingerlings etc.

3. baseman1703

baseman1703 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Karratha
    Trying Somme of the pellets I got from livefish can't really say for sure if there eating them but at the same time can't see them on the bottom of the tank either so maybe they are. Other than that they love some old prawns I have in the fridge. Nice big tigers cut up into small pieces for them.
    Also got some small fingerlings from the s
    Some spot. Gone in sixty seconds was an understatement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk