1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding pH and Ammonia Relationships

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Anish, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Anish

Anish New Member

qatar
    State:
    Doha
    City:
    Doha
    Hey all,

I am seeing a pH of 7.6 and ammonia at 0.25. Tho i wish to keep my pH to 6.5 and 7, would ammonia be dangerous when pH is 7.6. Is there a relationship that ties pH and Ammonia, in the sense if pH is high even a small rise in Ammonia can be lethal ?

At the moment i have Carp (Stripped catfish). Approximately 700 in a 14,000 liter tank. Recently due to the rains my pH has increased.

I am thinking for adding Hydrochloric Acid to lower the pH. Can somebody please comment on the dosage and if there is any relation between pH and Ammonia ? Will higher pH with lower ammonia kill fish or is it the other way ?