1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Unclear water

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by Ethan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ethan

Ethan Member

USA
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Auburn
    After about 10 days of my IBC setup... About 225 gallons fish tank and one gravel grow bed.... I still have very dirty looking water... Can't see the bottom of the tank (tank is painted dark on outside) I have about 12-15 small bream fish. Feed small amount everyday/every other day.

if I stir the water up... It's dirty dirty...

sump tank water is relatively clear with some gunk in the bottom but fairly clear water...

1) should I be concerned about the fish tank water?

2) pH is still around 8.0 but has come down from 8.4 in about 5-7 days.

3) ammonia is about .2

4) haven't checked nitrites... But no nitrates yet.

5) plants I've planted seem healthy.

6) no seaweed extract yet.

7) no other additives yet either.

any thoughts?

2. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

The gravel I get locally is very dirty, usually takes 5 or six weeks for my system to become clear unfortunately. It seems like it isn't making any progress in clearing up for weeks and then boom in a matter of a couple of days it just comes good.

I'd be giving those fish a salt bath every second day. It helps to give them a good clean. Plenty of aeration in the salt bath too.

When I put my fingerlings in I keep them in a washing basket for the first few weeks so they are easy to get out.

Good luck bud.

3. Ethan

Ethan Member

USA
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Auburn
    Thanks brother man.

4. keith_r

keith_r Member

are you draining the fish tank from the bottom of the tank?

5. Ethan

Ethan Member

USA
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Auburn
    Yes. Pipe goes all the way to the bottom.

6. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    Do you have enough water flow through tank , measure your flow into tank for a miniute then convert to gallons per hour , if your only putting enough through to run one siphon (tank dirty / sump clean ) its likely your problem.

Need to turn over the total tank volume every hour at a minimum , so you will need more grow beds or bypass some flow to sump

7. Ethan

Ethan Member

USA
    State:
    Alabama
    City:
    Auburn
    I am now thinking that since I did not start with clean 3/4" gravel from a quarry - I think i have too much dead leaves and junk in my bed and it is keeping the water dirty, the drain slow and all around screwing my cycling up.

Yes?

8. Sam1234

Sam1234 New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Newcastle
    The gravel I got from the gravel shop was very dirty and had lots of soil inside. The water flowed out the growing beds was very cloudy too. I cleaned up within 2 days by placing a filter bag under the inlet tap. The bag is for filtering cooking oil and from the food packaging shop.