1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Trout or Silver Perch ??

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Marshy, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Marshy

Marshy New Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Narrikup
    Hi all
    I need some help I have just set up a 3 GB system with sump and 1000l fish tank I’m trying to decide weather to go with trout or silvers. We are heading into the middle of winter at the moment. I live in Albany WA we do have warm some hot summers and cold winters. Is it easier to heat or cool the water as I think I will have to do one or the other no matter which fish I go with ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Marshy, Welcome to the forum.

Over the years I've had a few people down your way that have told me they've been able to get Trout through summer by careful positioning of their fish tanks and good system design.

Some considerations would be: Having the FT in a spot that is well shaded in summer. Using all PVC pipe for the plumbing, keeping as much of it out of the sun as possible and burying it where possible so it's not running across the hot ground. No black poly etc. Having the GB's covered with shade cloth in summer so they don't get too hot and transfer the heat to the water.

I also have customers that are able to keep Silvers all year round down there. I've found their feeding slows when the water temp gets down around 13C. I have had them feed at 12C but not eat a lot. In fact, the water temp in my shop display system is 12.5C this morning and they fed a little. They do survive in colder water, I've seen them surviving in 9C, and someone on here a few years ago claimed to have them surviving in 6C, but they won't feed at that temp.

When dealing with cooler temps there are a number of ways you can try and keep the water temp up. Putting the system in a hothouse is a good start, as is insulating the FT. Also, removing the bell from the siphons at night so the GB's operate as constant flood, helps. When it warms up the following day you drop the bells back in so the GB's can F&D again.

Submersible electric water heaters are expensive to run. In most situations you'll find you need at least 1w per litre of water to maintain a decent temp. I have one customer that is using an old solarhart water heater which stands next to his system. I'm not sure exactly how he's plumbed it up, but reckons it works a treat.

Some use rooftop pool heaters or poly pipe coiled across their roof, but you need to ensure with these that you only pump water through them when the sun is directly on them, otherwise they can cool water down. I have one customer that made an insulated, sealed frame/cabinet with a glass front on it and 13mm black poly coiled inside it and has it facing the sun. He has it running off a separate pump which is hooked up to a censor so the pump only turns on when the temp inside the cabinet reaches a certain level. The pump flow through it is very slow so the water has time to warm. It does warm the water running through it quite a bit, but it doesn't keep the overall FT temp up as much as he anticipated.

As for now... If I were adding fish to your system at the moment, I would definitely be trying to track down some Trout, it's too cold for Silver fingerlings to be going in. If any Trout are still available you'll probably find they are well past the fingerling stage anyway and half way to edible size, so it's not as though you'd be starting with tackers and possibly running out of time before summer. Maybe try Gav at Ferguson Springs and see if he's got a few left.