1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Three methods to heat your greenhouse.

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Murray, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Todo10 likes this.
  2. Ashley D

Ashley D New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Long Jetty
    Just the sort of stuff I was wondering about, Good find.

3. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Storing energy via thermal mass in a greenhouse is just another of the advantages of AP. Experience shows that supplemental heating is often necessary to ensure you don't get a freeze in the greenhouse, but the AP is certainly a wonderful heat sink.

I like the idea of merging it with a Subterranean Heating and Cooling System (SHCS). Need to minimize bio-fouling, but it's worth a design attempt.

4. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    That particular website Robert is an excellent resource for info on the subject.
    I like the idea of burying 800 yards of 1" pipe buried at at least 6', and pumping the water through.
    The air could be a separate idea employed as well as the water pipe.

A bit costly to put into service but would be very low cost to run.

What do you think?

5. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    I really need to think on it some. We've delayed the greenhouse build till spring, but if I'm going to implement this in the design, it would be very early in the build.

I agree, it's an interesting design concept. Question is, "What's the return on investment?" Gut feeling tells me 3-5 years, so it might well be worth it.

6. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    For me the return on investment would be very early, maybe no more that 18 months. Diminished performance of my systems during winter and peak summer temps is one level of payoff, the next level is happy fish that are kept within ideal temp range. This winter just gone I heated with electricity and my power bill..........but, no sick or dead fish.

7. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    I am currently struggling with our latest sub zero freeze....was down to neg 22 below F. I was as ready as could be but still had some serious failures at that temp. I had a tank six feet under ground for fish and also to help maintain a better temp and it had some ice that morning. I think a greenhouse redesign is possibly in order...or maybe a move south. ;)

8. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Wow. So your buried tank started to freeze up? :eek:

9. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    yeah.. not sure why but the weather changed so suddenly that there was not much time to prepare. We went from forty above to 20 below overnight.

10. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    That is seriously cold. I just cannot imagine weather that cold.

11. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    Yeah it was a bit of a shocker for this early into the winter. Some sort of Arctic blast that effected the entire country. Sure put a damper on my veggies! I was aware the cold was coming but more in the form of just below zero...not twenty below , so my efforts fell short and I awoke to two solidly frozen grow beds. But we are up and going again and making some changes to keeping better heat stored.

12. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    I'm going to plumb propane into the greenhouse so we can run a small propane furnace to keep it above freezing on the days it's needed here in Texas.

13. Aqua Missions

Aqua Missions New Member

Usa
    State:
    California
    City:
    Valley Center
    Is your greenhouse "sealed"? I would be cautious about the possibility of high CO2 emmisions building up. We have a boiler running in the winter but it has an exhaust vent so none of the gas builds up inside.

14. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    Not sealed tight enough to cause a problem. I run a portable propane heater now when temps get below freezing to keep the plants from dying.

15. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Here is our solution -- currently we´re around 2º C by nights.

We made a Rocket Mass Heater. It has a water tank attached to the main body, we circulate the water from an intercooler; inside that intercooler, we circulate the water from both indy 23 systems we have.

Attached Files:

Sayhello2pedro likes this.
  16. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Here is the final RMH (still waiting for the exhaust vent tubes to arrive; ETA next tuesday)

Attached Files:

Sayhello2pedro likes this.