1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Taro plants in Brisbane (North) QLD

Discussion in 'Plants' started by mintlin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mintlin

mintlin New Member

Hi. I would like to get some help on locating places that sell Taro for my aquaponics set up. I live in Joyner north of Brisbane.
    I have recently had a spike of nitrate in my established system (120ppm) mainly due to removal of Brussel Sprouts from grow beds. Lesson learned about keeping some nitrate absorbers handy... I would very much appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction so I wouldnt have to run around too much for Taro plants.
    Thanks.
    Min

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Here is a photo of Taro grown by a member who lives near Capallaba

Huge Taro.jpg

Here is another showing a Taro root weighing in at 2 kg from my own system

TaroAquaponics-275x300.jpg

And the most recent photo from my Taro plants.

Taro6.jpg

So, Taro grown here in Brisbane and really well in Aquaponics systems.

I can give you a couple to get you going if you want to take the drive over here or if you are prepared to pay the courier charge I can send you a bulb or two to get you started. PM me if this will help.

3. mintlin

mintlin New Member

Wow! Those are massive! Thank you very much for the offer Murray. I will try to source some from the local flea market on the weekend first but I would definitely like a visit to see how you've got things running some time.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Look at the Taro now.....
    This Taro tuber weighs in at 6kg

Taro7.jpg

5. mintlin

mintlin New Member

My god. That's a giant! That could feed a village! Very impressive. I wish I have that much space upwards in my greenhouse.

6. Sim2

Sim2 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    CHERMSIDE
    Can i pickup some to get me started please? ☺