1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Tank Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by tracieirvan, Apr 30, 2016.

1. tracieirvan

tracieirvan New Member

us
    State:
    mo
    City:
    Kansas City
    My husband and I are working on a greenhouse with a aponic homestead in mind..... however he is very concerned about using ibc... he is thinking glass... and making a tank with silicone - sounds pricie, but he's worried about the plastic being poisonous. ...???

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    There are different grades of plastic used in IBC's. If you buy a food grade IBC that has only had food grade products in it, then it will be fine. Many thousands of AP'ers across the planet, possibly hundreds of thousands, use them without issue.

They are used to transport many of the food products we all consume on a regular basis, and if you are genuinely worried about plastics in contact with food, then you wouldn't be able to consume the majority of products available through supermarkets etc.

The plastic used in the food grade IBC's is also UV stabilised, so they last much longer than the non-food grade versions.

Cheers!

tracieirvan likes this.
  3. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi tracieirvan,
    yabbies is spot on , the food grade IBC's are very chemically stable ( the food acid used in coke is delivered in these and that stuffs very corrosive ). I would say as long it's never had anything poisonous stored in it then it's probably a safer option than silicone sealed tanks as many types of the sealants used on pipes and tanks are known to leech into the liquids contained within. Make sure you use a food grade sealant. A glass tank big enough for aquaponics will be expensive and very difficult to install a bottom drain into also the stand must be perfectly level or the bottom will crack. Glass is more difficult and problematic but far from impossible. If it's a looks thing though I totally understand that. Clear clean glass tanks do look good.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    tracieirvan likes this.
  4. adz

adz Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Regional Victoria
    If I had the money I would use stainless steel. But my IBCs will have to do for now.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk