1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling for heat

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by eestrada1234, Jan 13, 2016.

1. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Hello all:
    I've invested quite a lot of time, money and effort in trying to maintain a good temperature for the fish tanks - however this winter is proving to be quite cold.

I have healthy tilapias, but the biggest of my issues is that if I leave the water running 24 hours, the temp will drop dramatically: I installed some electric water heaters, and so far they've saved us from catastrophe, but the utility invoice is very high.

I recently installed a Rocket Mass Heater inside the greenhouse, and even fixed some copper coil surrounding it so it can heat the water from an intercooler (an isolated 200 liters plastic tank with 50 meters of black hose circulating water from the fish), and from there to the fish tanks.
    My temperature readings have improved, however I simply cannot find a way to keep temperature around 18ºC under "normal" operation. I still have to shut down water flow most of the day if I want to have good temperature at night.

If I leave water running all night and no electric heaters or rocket mass running, my water temp can easily drop down to 7ºC.

This issue makes my plants suffer, because they are not getting enough nutrients.

Any thoughts / ideas as to how to supplement nutrients to my plants for the winter?

2. David - WI

David - WI Member

USA
    State:
    Wisconsin
    City:
    Juneau
  3. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Hi David
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am currently leaving the flow for the fish only for 2-3 hours a day (6 hours on the best weather).
    Before this winter my water was running normally and everything was green and nice, now my plants seem a little sad.

4. Sayhello2pedro

Sayhello2pedro New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    I think you switching the flow might have something to do with the nutrient deficiency. Have yo u insulated the tanks and beds with anything? I've got my fish tank and sump with wraped in Styrofoam and wall linning insulation. The rest (growbeds) have just linking around them. If you have to cut water flow do it at night only. I'm not sure if your getting enough sun exposure to warm the tank up but if you are consider painting it black. If you haven't got a greenhouse you may want to invest in one. Good luck

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

5. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Thanks for your reply, Pedro.

My sump tanks are not insulated, but the fish tanks are painted black and insulated with that spaceship, aluminum foil and micro cells thing.

I have a greenhouse.

There is a lot of sun, but altitude here is very high.

6. Sayhello2pedro

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    The last I would consider is a solar swimming pool heater which can range from $90 upwards.

7. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Already made my own solar heater with 400 meters of black hose, heating an intercooler.

I will try the insulation on the sump tanks --- after this, I will DEFINITELY get rid of tilapia and get some trouts instead...

Sayhello2pedro likes this.
  8. Sayhello2pedro

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melbourne
    I've got silver perch in the tank and yabbies in the dumps they seem to cope well with the temps. Best of luck

eestrada1234 likes this.