1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Sod webworm moth

Discussion in 'What Pest is that ?' started by ReyZr67, Oct 24, 2017.

1. ReyZr67

ReyZr67 New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Hey all
    Have an outbreak of sod webworm moths - the sods are devastating my choys, mustard, lettuce, etc.

Moth sod webworm.jpg
    Tried spraying veg with hose morning and night, they just come back. Tried outside light at night and spraying them with Raid. They seem invincible! Latest was to shake the veg so they rise in a swarm and go mental spraying them in the air. Doing my head in!

What's to do?!?!

JohnDDuff likes this.
  2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Have you tried napalm?... Just don't apply it in the heat of the day, it could cause some leaf scorch.

3. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    Remove what grubs you can and feed them to your fish, good source of protein. then spray the plants with a Bt spray like Dipel but only late in the afternoon or evening as it breaks down under UV light. May need to do this a few times. It won't kill the grubs off straight away as it is a slow acting toxin released by the bacterial in the Dipel, but they will die. The smaller the grub the better the kill rate. As soon as you see them again, hit them with the Dipel. Spray over all the leaves to get good coverage. Cheers John

4. ReyZr67

ReyZr67 New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Thanks John. Have been spraying for last three days at dusk. Here's an example of my choy - zoom in and you can see the sodding sods dangling from the leaves. Also note top left the paper wasp hunting them down! Must be about 20 wasps now doing their thing. Go li'l waspy fellas!! Choy.jpg

5. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    They are diamond back moths and they can be very tricky to control especially when they get some size to them. they only grow to about 10mm or more and so anything over 5mm are getting on the large side of difficult to control even with Dipel. Unfortunately the wasps don't take enough of them to control them outright. I would give them to the chooks if you have any and start again and as soon as you see the first one start spraying with Dipel. Or you could cover them. all the best John

6. ReyZr67

ReyZr67 New Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Oh wow, genus identifus incorrectus on my part there! Thanks John bow1
    Sounds like I am going to strip all the choy out and give it to my neighbours chooks mate! Veg and protein feed for them!!