1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Six bed system design?

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Shereef, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Shereef

Shereef New Member

First of all, thank you for the GREAT information. I've ready everything on this site, watched the DVD and am ready to get started. Just bought 5 totes and they're sitting in my back yard.

I want to build a 6 bed system, but curious how to implement it. I get that I should simply double up the configuration, but should I have two pumps? Two separate outflows from the fish tank? How do I make sure the fish tank outflows equally to both? Should I connect the sump tanks?

Anybody have success with something like this? If it works can I expand to 9 grow beds using the same tank, or should I get another tank?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't wait to get started.

Thanks!

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Shereef, welcome!

This is just my opinion, but if you want one large system, then with 5 IBC's I'd be creating a system with:

- An intact IBC for a 1000L FT, with an SLO, gravity feeding into...
    - Four to six GB's, siphoning or draining into...
    - Two interconnected sumps, pumping back up to the FT with...
    - One pump

Myself, I'd be inclined to get a sixth IBC and create two separate systems, each with:

- An intact IBC for a 1000L FT, with an SLO, gravity feeding into...
    - Three GB's, siphoning or draining into...
    - One sump, pumping back up to the FT with...
    - One pump

Cheers!

3. gavinguy

gavinguy New Member

I have my FT go into a swirl filter which then splits at a 4" T-connector, each side goes into separate media beds but I've capped one off, so for the moment it's really actually only what Yabbies described.

At the time I kinda thought that it would be nice to have two separate chains of GBs, so if one needed fixing you could turn it off and let them dry out. Which is the case with me, the side of the system that is running has a GB that is fibreglass and water was crashing into the media (LECA) in one corner and that caused it to churn and wear a hole in the bottom. It's currently patched with some pond liner and an upsidedown bucket and a brick, but I'll need to get the other side of the system up and running so I can dry it out and patch it with fibreglass. Just a thought.

Then again, you (and probably most other people) wouldn't do something so stupid as to have the media grinding a hole in a GB and then leave for vacation. I'm a little surprised my fish etc were ok.

4. Shereef

Shereef New Member

Thanks for all the help guys.

I think I'm going to try the T-connecter going into separate media beds, each with their own pump, and connected sump tanks.

Considering doing 4 GBs on each sides. Do you think one FT can handle 8GBs?

5. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Nope... IMO you couldn't safely stock enough fish in 1000L of water to provide the nutrients required for 8 x IBC type GB's of about 300L volume each.

Myself, I would go a maximum of 4 x IBC type GB's per 1000L FT.

6. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is a good idea to have more than one FT if you can afford the space and money to fit an extra tank. Makes it easier to batch fish, maybe run two different species. Many more possibilities.

argus likes this.
  7. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is an SLO?

8. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    Oh, OK. That's the technical name I suppose.:) I am putting together our IBC chop 2 system this weekend. How close to the bottom of the fish tank should that SLO be?

10. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    If you cut some nice wide notches in the pipe about 1/2"-1" deep in a "castle top" pattern, you can let it rest right on the bottomeof the tank. You can also cut and angle to the end of the pipe and let the tip rest on the bottom, or suspend the pipe off the bottom. Closer to the bottom picks up more trash, but might also slow down the flow.

Whatever tack you take, you just want to be sure you don't impede the flow too much AND have a vent break of some sort so you don't siphon the tank out.

11. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ... This should make life a bit easier: Acronyms thread

12. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Make sure the notches are small enough to stop small fish escaping. Important when you put your fingerlings into the tank.

13. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Good point!