1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Filamentious Hoosuess

Filamentious Hoosuess New Member

Australias
    State:
    nsw
    City:
    Wyong
    Got two Jade Perch with distinct size difference.
    I know breeding is not common in Jade Perch but was just curious on how to tell the males from the females.
    Unsure of the age of my grunters.

2. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    I'd like to know how I can go about breeding jade perch too. Knowing how to tell the difference would be very helpful.

Anyone able to help Filamentous Hoosuess and myself?

3. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Breeding fish such as Jade or Silver Perch is not something you'd do in your backyard, or without a degree in aquaculture, or many years experience in the industry at the very least. They need very specific conditions or hormone injections to get them to develop eggs or sperm, then very specific conditions for care of the fertilised eggs. The fry need to be fed artemia, which can get expensive when you look at the quantities required... Much simpler and cheaper just to buy fingerlings.

4. Filamentious Hoosuess

Filamentious Hoosuess New Member

Australias
    State:
    nsw
    City:
    Wyong

As I said, I’m quite aware of the breeding situation with Perch. I was merely interested in being able to tell the males from the females.