1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Seasol v's Powerfeed in Established Systems

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by Yabbies4me, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I have been asked about this topic a number of times recently, this post was written so I can direct people to the one spot for info.

Powerfeed (Seasol green bottle) contains a high level of Ammonia (as does Maxicrop) so is great for fishless cycling of new systems, but not really ideal for use in established systems containing fish, especially in warmer water and/or systems with high pH, both of which make Ammonia far more toxic to fish.

Just as an example, at a water temp of just 28C and a pH of 8.0 (which is very common in areas with high carbonate water) an Ammonia level of just 0.20ppm can be harmful to fish, and the first reading on an API Ammonia test kit is 0.25ppm... So Ammonia toxicity is the primary concern with using Powerfeed, but there is another potential issue using it in an established system...

The extra Ammonia provided by Powerfeed will be converted to Nitrate (Nitrogen). Most established AP systems don't suffer from lack of Nitrogen, in fact an oversupply in ratio to other elements is a very common problem. Excess Nitrogen in the system can cause issues with establishing seedlings, stopping fruiting plants from setting fruit, and with fish health.

If your system is well balanced, especially in regards to the number of fish (nutrients) in ratio to plants, and the type of plants in the system, then there should be very little in the way of extra nutrient inputs required, and Nitrogen would probably be the last on the list.

A capful of standard Seasol (white bottle) per 500L, per week, for systems full of leafy greens, or 2x capfuls per 500L, per week, if growing a mixture of leafy greens and some fruiting plants (no more than 1/3 of GB area), helps the system along by providing a little extra in the way of trace elements, as well as a small amount of Potassium. Too many fruiting plants in a system, especially tomatoes, will see extra nutrient inputs required, usually one of, or a combination of Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium.

Rather than a shotgun approach, ie: Looking for one additive which will address all deficiencies (no such product exists), the best approach is to diagnose which nutrient/s are actually deficient and take a targeted approach, using a product containing that element, which has been proven to be suitable for use in Aquaponics.

Timbo likes this.
  2. Timbo

Timbo New Member

Australia
    State:
    Wa
    City:
    Perth
    Very informative, Cheers