1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Sea shells and egg shells???

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by mraquaponics, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mraquaponics

mraquaponics New Member

I am wondering about sea shells and egg shells in an AP system...
    I believe they will help to neutralize PH. Is this true?
    Also how are people using them?
    Do you add the shells to the grow-bed media?
    Or use it in the sump tank? (maybe in a stocking or something)
    Do you crush the shells into small pieces?
    How much do you use?

also how does it work?
    I believe that if the PH is acidic the acid will react with the shells and this is how PH is neutralized... is this true?

2. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

I have 4 dozen egg shells just dug into the growbed media as well 30 kg of shellgrit it helps but a mature system still drifts down as i said somewere else about once a month or when i think of it i put about 1/2 cup or 2 tablespoons of lime in the sump of the system

3. mraquaponics

mraquaponics New Member

Thanks Milne
    Ive got about 20-30kg of normal sea shells... suppose they'll do ok? and the chickens are laying eggs again so the egg shells will start coming...
    Ill get some lime too...
    Do I need a certain brand or type (to avoid chemical additives etc) or just any lime from Bunnings?

4. mraquaponics

mraquaponics New Member

Thanks Milne
    Ive got about 20-30kg of normal sea shells... suppose they'll do ok? and the chickens are laying eggs again so the egg shells will start coming...
    Ill get some lime too...
    Do I need a certain brand or type (to avoid chemical additives etc) or just any lime from Bunnings?

5. MalcolmC

MalcolmC New Member

Calcium Carbonate is what is needed. I recently bought Hydrated Lime and soon found that you have to use this in small qty to prevent spiking too far. I would recommend a teaspoon per 1000 litres, and test Ph daily, until you get used to the swings.

Mal

6. mraquaponics

mraquaponics New Member

OK Thanks. So is Calcium Carbonate different to lime altogether, or another type of lime?

7. MalcolmC

MalcolmC New Member

No. Hydrated Lime contains Calcium Hydroxide (CA(OH)2) but also used to buffer Ph ...

Read about Calcium Carbonate here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate

... It is used in swimming pools as a pH corrector for maintaining alkalinity "buffer" to offset the acidic properties of the disinfectant agent.

Mal

8. Jonty

Jonty New Member

I save up eggshells from our chooks. Put them in the microwave for 2 minutes to kill any pathogens, plus it make the shells brittle. Into the pestel and mortar, then ground down to small pieces. I move some stones back and in with about half a cup in each growbed.

9. dirtyhabanero

dirtyhabanero New Member

Nice idea with the microwave...you weren't by any chance, one of those kids who liked to play with fire? hehehe...I've just dropped a few eggshells into the bottom of my mechanical filter, though sticking them straight into the GB might be a better idea.

10. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Give limestone a try!

While I can't guarantee it'll fix your problem, adding limestone certainly fixed my pH problems.
    I've had murray cod in a 600Ltr tank with a bio-filter (not aquaponic system) for the last 5 years. In the first year I had rapid pH fluctuations (ie: fine for a week or two then one day it would suddenly plummit).
    I listened to all kinds of "experts"... do this, do that, add this, give it a 1/4 water change, blah, blah, blah... it fixed nothing, in fact regular water changes made things worse and I kept loosing fish.
    In the end I gave up on what fish I had left and as a last resort threw in a few large fist sized lumps of limestone, because I'd heard that calcium carbonate helped buffer pH... it's been all good ever since!... I now rarely check my tank pH.
    Buy a small 2nd's grade limestone block from a landscape supply mob, should only be a couple of bucks, break it into large fist sized lumps, place them in a bucket and run it under the hot tap in the laundry sink until the bucket has well and truly overflowed. Leave them in the hot water for a few minutes then rinse them under the cold tap, then they are good to add to your tank.
    You will need to add new ones every year or so. :p

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  11. mraquaponics

mraquaponics New Member

Sounds like a Plan!

12. simonavc

simonavc New Member

I assume after reading your post that the coral frames I'm useing in the tester aquaponics setup are not going to last to long. These are very brittle calcium carbonate structure that are very porous. Might take the better pieces out again.

13. wildnickels

wildnickels New Member

So if I understand this then adding lime is to bring down the ph level? So if I have shells in my system it will bring down the ph? My system took a short dive to 5.0-5.5 and wondering what caused it.

14. ian

ian Member

Oz
    State:
    qld
    City:
    Brisbane
    No,
    Lime will increase the pH,
    Acid will decrease the pH.

The use of shell grit, egg shells etc. is to Buffer the pH to a certain level, beyond which it will not be active until the pH once again becomes low enough for the buffer to begin acting again.

Cheers IanK

15. wildnickels

wildnickels New Member

Thanks Iank for that information.

16. OzinBrasil

OzinBrasil New Member

17. Priya Rajarajan

Priya Rajarajan New Member

India
    State:
    Tamilnadu
    City:
    Thanjavur
    Hi,
    Currently I'm having a mini aquaphonics system.My sytem is designed like Fishtank------->Sump(where I'm having shell grit and gravel as base------->I'm having my system in a barrel with many sections.Now I'm planning to do this in big level.I learnt by online videos that organic tea composite brewing,bat guana(seabird waste),banana peel powder(banana peels dried in sun),organic worm casting will make the plants grow.In the other video of the practical aquaphonics system I saw the brewing of tea compost,here are questions
    1.Can we add the tea compost,organic worm,casting into the sump,how much for one gallon of water and the frequency.Will it affect the fish?
    2.My friend recoommended to add bat guano 1 or 2 tsp every month in 1 gallon of water.It is high in phosporous.

Cheers