1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Samford Balcony Maximus

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by jaybee, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

I like your outlook!
    Same here. I have planted some heirloom varieties of tomato only after many months of waiting to be dismayed at how ordinary and flat they tasted. Aquaponics can't work miracles. I now have a few favorites that work well and stick to them...

2. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Amazingly, that is a young one! they must grow at an amazing rate, so if anyone is into time lapse photography ...

3. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Not much to say except that everything is just fine; looking good and tasting great!

Attached Files:

4. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I finally got round to eating a Jade! I guess that my little fishy pets would eventually have to become a food source!

It was a bit of a struggle getting the big one from the rest - I soon learned that leaving the net in the tank for a few mins meant that after the initial shock, those inquisitive fellas came to see what it was all about. It was just a matter of waiting :)

I had it oven roasted and it was certainly an interesting flavour. I guess I shall steam my next one to reduce the oils a little and bring out the texture more. Nice though, and only mildly traumatic...

5. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Well I finally separated the Sleepies out from the main tank. I cheated rather and bough a second hand 4 foot aquarium from ebay - $300 including everything for tropical fish including a canister filter, heater etc etc. I suppose that this is an aquaculture setup rather than AP, so sorry for being off topic :)

I am planning to stock the tank more densely with sleepies, and probably will grow out some Jade fingerlings for the main system. Ultimately there may be a strawberry tower associated with the tank too but at the moment, just fish and bubbles. Given that those fish are over 16 months old, they have hardly grown in comparison to the fat boy Jades they were living with - not a good mix! They seem very content in their new home.

(PS I ate my last Jade smoked. Yum)

Attached Files:

6. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    A major contribution to fish safety...

Well, a mitigation for my tardy maintenance!

We were foolish to over-plant the back bed which by its very nature of being a bit awkward to get to, gets ignored at the best of times. Of course the root-balls of our plants blocked up the auto siphon and cause the system to flood over and spill the aqueous contents of the fish tank over the yard (er, twice!)

I'm amazed that all the fish were OK, there are around 60 or 70 fish of various sizes in there (I have eaten a lot of late - more stock needed soon!) and when I discovered the issue the second time, the only reason that there was any water in the tank at all was due to the pump being unable to operate in such shallow conditions.

Its bloody hard to kill a Jade it seems!

So my lessons learned:

1. Have the pump up on a brick so that it fails earlier.
    2. Cut a drain hole in the bed to ensure that if it does overflow, it flows somewhere useful (see photo)
    3. Stop being such an idle sod and check the system more than once a week.

Attached Files:

7. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    1. Agree
    2. Agree
    3. Agree

No rush JB... Brisbane won't be making the finals this year, so come the beginning of September your weekends will free for AP maintenance... :p

8. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  9. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Love it!!!... you're talkin to a Monty Python tragic!... :24locos:...

- He's not the Messiah... He's just a very naughty boy!
    - You luuucky, luuucky bastard!
    - I have a very dear friend in Wome called Bigus dickus!
    - Do not tempt him oh shallow one... is not the miracle of the Juniper bushes enough?
    - Romans, they go the 'ouse?
    - I didn't say a word for eighteen years until he he came along... A miracle!!!... He is the messiah!!!
    - Just one teeny after dinner mint... t'is but wafer thin!
    - Are there any women here today?
    - Are you the Judean peoples front... F-CK OFF!!
    - What ever happened to the Judean Popular Peoples Front... He's over there...... SPLITTER!!!

I could rattle these off all night... :D

I love these quotes from your links:

...Freo supporters could relate I'm sure!... :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. Redneck

Redneck Member

drinkanimdrinkanimstop picking on freo, Tiss but a flesh
    wound,and i demand a shrubery

11. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Look you stupid bastard you've got no arms left... I'll have your leg!... I'll do you for that!... alright, we'll call it a draw!

12. Redneck

Redneck Member

drinkanimdrinkanimdrinkanimNo ill bite ya knees off,come back here ya
    coward.

13. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I think we should move this convo to the FND thread eh!... What was this thread about again?... :D

14. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Dunno, but your Mother was a Hamster and your Father smelled of elderberries...

15. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I am Arthur, King of the Britains, I am on a quest for the Holy grail... do you have it?

16. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    And now for something completely different...

Happy New Year Aquaponiacs!!!

It's hard to believe that my system is getting on for two years old now and I still haven't finished my paving. That's my resolution for 2013 - finish the bloody garden.

Here are a couple of shots - one of the somewhat over 'cucumbered' system as it was this morning, and a couple of my fish in the purge tank, frolicking in the stream of water from the hose as I did a water change. Fish and vedgies are wonderfully healthy as ever, the system is so stable now that it has required nothing but fish food and some lime to buffer the pH for the last six months.

View attachment 14227 View attachment 14228

17. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Jaybee, good to hear from you again. You will need to add your photos while in "Advanced" mode or else they drop out .

18. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Thanks Murray - Lets see if I got it right this time!

Attached Files:

19. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Fine looking Jade Perch there JB and the garden is not too shabby either !!!!

20. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Re: How do I switch this thing off!

Everything is doing brilliantly. I'm tempted to put another bed in for Strawbs alone - I had issues with the towers as the plants grew so prolifically the choked the system and caused water loss, but a whole bed should give a good supply. The Maximus powered by the 925l fish tank is unstoppable - with three full size beds it is still just on idle. I only feed the fish in the morning and they finish the food in moments so there is plenty of scope to work my finned friends a little harder.

It has been a tough year in the soil garden - it really highlights how efficient the AP is. Of course, we do live in the perfect place for it...