1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Samford Balcony Maximus

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by jaybee, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    Well done JB,

Youre making me look bad! I havent had much luck so far with Strawberries but the lettuce seem to be doing ok in my towers.

2. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    To be honest, the strawberries have been doing a lot more growing than fruiting.

I may be popping up to Duckadang, which is where we have our annual Astronomy Festival, in the next few days. There is a Yabbie farm nearby which I plan to visit for some mature specimines. If it happens I'll give you a shout. You must have room in those sumps of yours!

3. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    Sounds good JB, If you can grab a few for me that would be great. Let me know how much and I'll fix you up. I have a DIY tank that was supposed to be for duckweed but with the flow turned down I get brown sludge and with the flow turned up I get a current and neither is good for duckweed. If I add an airline however it would be ideal for yabbies!

4. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Been a bit too busy of late and hardly had a chance to check in here.

Things are ticking over in winter mode - I have a small heater in the tank which is keeping the worst of the chill off, but most things have slowed down.

The floating raft hasn't though - everything is going mad in there! Given that my clean water filtration isn't exactly brilliant the raft is still the most productive part of the system and I would still recommend it to anyone.

Attached Files:

5. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    What a week - first of all, my float valve failed to shut off and overflowed the tanks big time, then a root bound strawberry tower was hell bent on emptying my tanks all together (and of course I had diaconnected the float valve!)

To finally add to my misery, one of my mature jades decided that sideways was the best way to swim and after a day in an auxilarry tank to see if it would perk up, I decided to dispatch it. Samford Aquaponics is no place for weeklings! I have to say, jades are tough nuts to crack - I am used to stotting brown trout and they coudn't be easier.

6. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Hi JB - Water temp might have been a bit cold for him maybe? I've noticed as the temps plummet the inactive Jades go a lighter colour too. Very pale looking...

7. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Quite possibly (16.5 degrees). I have been running a 400w heater 24/7 to keep the worst of the 'big freeze' off them, but this fish was undoubtedly the runt of the litter and a bit on the small side.

The others look healthy enough, and the system chemistry is stable as.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Wow, I've hardly had a chance to breathe these last two months. Thankfully the AP can get along just fine with little to no maintenance!

The Strawb towers have been decommissioned. Its not because they didn't work - they worked too well! Those plants divided like bacteria and the tubes became one mass of root and folaige to such an extent that I couldnt keep the water in the system. I may try again with a different design.

Still cropping well even in winter mode, but i'm looking forward to the tank warming up enough to get those fish eating properly again - I need to taste some jade...

Attached Files:

9. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Looking good Jonathan...

10. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Thanks John. The system is living proof as to the stability of the concept. I have been away most weekends and don't normaly get back until after dark so have neglected the poor thing terribly. The only maintenance has been the odd handful of lime to buffer the pH, a splash of seasol to make up for the fish hardly eating a thing and the occasional top-up of water.

When I did a full set of tests over the weekend for the first time in an age, everything was just fine. I even gave the tank a scrub - It always amuses me how quickly the Jades change colour from dark to light when I clean the tank!

Along with some root crops from the garden, we have had some good feeds lately. Most satisfying :)

11. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Stability is the key Jonathan.... I sometimes wonder why people persist with pushing their systems to the limit... and/or stuffing around with them...

12. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood

13. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I may get a table and stand the whole thing in a very wide drip-tray. That way it wouldn't matter when it springs a leak.

Boy did those pesky plants look healthy!

14. MrWright

MrWright New Member

Great looking setup jaybee, very schmick! :)

Slightly off-topic question, but who did you get to do your shed or if you did it yourself, was it a local company that you bought it off?

15. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    All Strong Sheds designed it to my spec. They are based beside Gleam O' Dawn. 3289 5166

16. MrWright

MrWright New Member

Perfect, thank you!

So have you trialled yabbies in the other half of the floating raft tank or is it your dedicated fingerling tank?

17. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I had fingerlings in there for a while but the air pump died and so did the fingerlings. With the main tank, there is an alternative supply of oxygen, so I have decided to stick to that for the fishy stuff.

I have the materials to make either a second floating raft or a duck weed section - i expect I will do the latter as the floating raft part is already to productive for us to keep up with as it is, and the fish love the greens we give them.

18. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I was showing some guests around the system at the weekend and had one of those 'what the...' moments when I discovered this strange thing growing in there. Turns out the Mrs had picked up some mixed heirloom curcubits from somewhere, and this one is a Trombone Zuccini.

Goodness knows what it will taste like, but it certainly loves its location!

Attached Files:

19. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I have rather come to the conclusion that these Heirloom veggies are 'Heirlooms' for a reason. Sort of why we don't routinely use chariots for transport, arsenic for make-up and leeches for day-to-day medicine -There are better alternatives out there.

If you want a vigorous, hardy, aquaponic loving curcubit with no flavour, plant a Trombone Zucchini :)

20. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    Hi Jaybee,

It was an impressive looking fruit. Do the younger ones taste any better?