1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Samford Balcony Maximus

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by jaybee, Feb 10, 2010.

1. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    The shed is up (minus clear lean-to), the ground is cleared, the Balcony Maximus is ordered, the adventure starts here!

Attached Files:

• AP1.jpg
      AP1.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Boy are you gonna have some fun! Looks like you have plenty of sunshine and space to expand. :)

3. dufflight

dufflight Member

Nice shed to put extra fish tank in so other half does not notice it.:carrot:

4. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Thanks guys, it's going to be an interesting year - I think I have my building priorities about right; shed, aquaponics, house!

'Spose I could ditch the house and put in an acre of grow beds.

Funny you should say that, I do have a half-baked plan for a 6 bed system with 2 fish tanks in the shed. Only time will tell...

5. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Ah, it's been a while, but I am getting closer to having the site ready (the paving around the system will be finished on saturday!), and I am popping down to Murrry's on Sunday to pick up the Kit.

A question - I was at my local landscaping supplies retailer today and noticed that they sold marble chippings. They were certainly the right grade, and looked pretty smart. For those that don't know, marble is limestone that has been heated by volcanic activity to make it crystaline, and is a form of calcite. Does anyone have any experience with such a material - I would guess that it would stop any acidity build up! Any negative effects?

Jonathan.

PS I still have no water or power at the site, so don't expect much more from me in the near future :(

6. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Might be too much jaybee.
    Ideal range for pH is just below 7. Lime stones etc can push the pH too high.
    Get some, like half a bucket of the stuff, fill with water and pH test water before and after a few times to see what happens to the pH of the water as a result of being in contact with the proposed gravel material.

7. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

I'd avoid the stuff Jaybee... it will result in your pH constantly being around 8.0-8.2.... and associated trace element takeup problems...

People have tried it.... with constant problems...

8. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Message received and understood, thanks chaps. I shall go and find a less volatile material!

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    20mm drainage gravel, or blue metal.

10. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Will sombody come and finish my paving! This heat is killing me...

At least the Balcony Maximus couldn't be esier to install. Top job Murray :) If I am very lucky, I will have the system up and running in the next few weeks.

Attached Files:

11. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Great photo jaybee, I hope we see many more as you progress.

12. Tsaphah

Tsaphah Member

Jaybee, I think we need a backyard Blitz team for those jobs!
    Pitty you can not cycle a system in a weekend...

13. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I have to say that being an alpha male, I was rather hoping, hunter-gatherer like, to have fought to the death (Ikea style) with Balcony Maximus until the Aquaponics kit was erected and that I, cut and bleeding, would reign triumphant.

Unfortunately, the truth was far less dramatic. Murray’s superb pre-fabrication is way too easy – everything just slots together effortlessly.

I had a pleasant evening in the cool of night, getting on with my Paving duties, followed by the final installation of 3/4 of the system (the right bed will have to wait for a few days!). My main aim is to try and fill the system with fresh rain water over the next week – I have about 50 sqm of roof, so I only need a couple of cm to fill it and the forecast is looking good

Top fun (although Backyard Blitz would be much appreciated Andrew; anytime you are ready :) )

14. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

What?! An alpha male without an Allen Key?! Perish the thought!

15. Byron

Byron New Member

i got no abounding skills in this particular area, but i wouldnt mind heading out to give you a hand. problem is my next few weekends a soaked up with work, Im a sparkie on a rotating shift roster. im keen to learn as much as i can about as many diffrent systems before i go throwing too much coin as a set up of my own.

16. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

I would kill for some of those Monier Blocks ...... unavailable in Brunei. I have been tempted to make my own but at present using hardwood timber frames that I knock up myself.. . . a lot of work and expense.

Does anyone have the recipe? I understand they are ash and cement, hence the lightness and strength? Shouldn't be hard to make forms for the blocks.

Any alternative ideas for Growbed supports much appreciated ....... no railway sleepers here either (no railway)

17. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    Top offer! I guess I will be finished the build by your next clear weekend, but you are welcome to visit anyway if you havent made the pilgramage to North Mclean yet.

18. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    A satisfying day

I have finished enough paving to fully install the kit and everything is now up and ready for the arrival of water and power in the next few weeks. I haven't filled the beds with gravel yet as I want to rinse it first.

Here are my modest learnings from the process:
    1) leave enough gap between the blocks and the rear wall to get your broom in.
    2) all of the elecrical bits and pieces, including a ride-on battery fit snugly and safely into a plastic battery box.

For now, the local willie wagtails are loving their oversized bird bath :)

Attached Files:

19. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

Looks good. If its not too late - leave enough space at the rear to be able to not only sweep the floor but also walk around the system. Always handy to get in the back if you have some tomatoes growing up the side of the shed wall later on down the track and need to reach up or rearrange plants in the growbed etc.

20. jaybee

jaybee Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Samford
    I have a canopy designed to be added to the shed that would make pulling the system further out a bit difficult.

I am tempted to change the canopy design, but can you see those concrete pads? I was there when they were poured, and I know just how deep they go!