1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Matt91

Matt91 Member

Hi All

I remember reading something about adding a small amount of salt to help improve the health of the fish. Does anyone know how much a 1000ltr FT would need. I believe it was only about 500grams?

Cheers

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Matt,

1 part per thousand (1 gram of sea/pool salt per litre) for general fish health, assist slime coat production etc.
    3 parts per thousand (3 grams of sea/pool salt per litre) for fungal infections.
    6 parts per thousand (6 grams of sea/pool salt per litre) for bacterial infections.

Cheers!

3. Matt91

Matt91 Member

Awesome thanks Yabbies!

4. Bill C

Bill C Member

That's good info Yabs, thanks for posting that.

5. ColinW

ColinW Member

As an example: 1kg of salt to 1000litres water = 1ppt. 3kg salt to 1000 litres = 3ppt
    A Refractometer (Salinity) with Automatic Temperature Compensation is best used to measure salinity - approx $23 - $50 on ebay??? About $38 from Guppys.
    Thanks for posting Yabbies
    Regards - ColinW

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  6. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    And up to 10ppt (10g per litre) for a hospital tank yeah? an isolated tank. To cure a sick fish for example.
    I'm only posting this because I tested this when I cured a very sick fish this way recently. Smaller tank with rapid aeration and circulation.

Added note though, and I'm not trying to open a can of worms but salt can be good for your fish but bad for your plants yeah?
    So there is a trade off.

My silvers do the odd (flash) scratching themselves on the bottom of tank. Not too often but I'm wary. I added salt to perhaps 1 - 2 ppt.
    I literally tipped 2 doses of 1kg Salt into the Fish Tank 4 days apart. My system is 2000lt total.
    (I've read experienced people have done this (dump of salt) and found the fish kinda like it. They breath up the salt plume. It all dissolves.

Now I can see an effect on the plants though. A light powder on Zucchini leaves and Strawberries new fruit turned white and stopped.
    Everything else looks good though so far.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Danscraft,

Yes - I have seen some salt effects too. I ending up dropping by salt levels to about 0.5 ppt because of what I saw in my beds (my strawberries too didn't fair too either). I've been trying to build a list of plants and their salt tolerances for a reference. The chart below is about the best I have been able to find thus far. Would really like to build a good, more complete database of information for us to use.

Has anyone got some good sources of data?

Salt Tolerance Chart.jpg

8. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I regularly see it recommended on forums that when salt is added for fish health reasons, that it either be added gradually over a few hours, or diluted in water first and the solution added gradually. I also see it regularly recommended that it be added into another part of the system away from the fish. I must disagree with these recommendations wholeheartedly.

IMO it’s best if the salt is added in one dose, in one area of the fish tank that the fish have access to, but so they can avoid the dissolving salt if they wish. Part of the success with salt combating disease and parasites is the shock of a rapid increase in salt levels.

This particular fish has had a few spots of fungus on her left pectoral fin (can be seen in the vid) since she was a fingerling (she's 9-10yo now). I haven't been able to get rid of it completely, only reduce it and keep it under control, but every now and then when there are changes in the water parameters, especially temperature and/or pH, it flares up and I have to re-salt the water... 3gm per litre on this occasion.

When I add salt to the tank she immediately parks herself over the dissolving salt and fans her fins back and forth through the rising plume, which can be seen in the vid if you look closely at the bottom of her tail... they know what's good for them and will avoid the plume if need be.

Robert123 likes this.
  9. adz

adz Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Regional Victoria
    Hi Robert
    I found some good info here. It refers to irrigated tolerances so I'm not sure if will be the same for ap.
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/resources/soils/salinity/crops/tolerance-irrigated

Robert123 likes this.
  10. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Good data to add to the collection adz. Thanks. Spot on to what I asked for.

Interesting Yabbies. Got to admit I am one of those that predissolved salt when using it. No more. Very informative video.

11. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ............................................................................................drinkanim