1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Saffron

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Peter Webber, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    Hi Guys,

I'm curious to see how Saffron will do in an AP system. I've read a couple of articles.

This article suggests that Hydroponics has been used to grow Saffron:

http://www.growingedge.com/magazine/back_issues/view_article.php3?AID=200149

And this is a source of Saffron bulbs:

http://www.boobookhill.com/

If they can be grown Hydroponically would I be correct to assume that they may do well in an AP system? I may ask about growing them in Queensland. If is is possible I may order 10, put them in in December and see how they do. Has anyone tried Saffron before?

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hey Peter,

I don't know much about saffron, but a few years ago I did see an episode of Landline I think it was, where a couple from Sydney moved to Tassie to grow saffron, they were very successful after only two years, so I don't know if the Qld climate is conducive to growing saffron, but if it's only going to cost a few bucks to get some corms, then I say "Suck it and see"... you may be a pioneer.

:p

3. Tdsal2

Tdsal2 New Member

Hehe.. We do have a successful Saffron grower down here in Tassie - across the river from me. I spoke with the chap about 5 years ago. I was looking at trying to grow it, and when I told him my properties 'perspective', he said Saffron wouldnt grow well here.

Well.. I said something like "oh well.. i might give it a crack with one plant and see how i go". Suddenly, the conversation got very serious. He said "I wont sell you bulbs, and nobody in our consortium will sell you bulbs. If any of them get caught selling you bulbs, they will be kicked out, so don't even bother!".

It was very eery.. I was just making an innocent enquiry, and the next thing you know, I'm getting warned off! :frown:

4. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    If the growers have formed a cartel, it seems odd that they would be offering their bulbs for sale on the internet?

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    You should've demanded a "Sit down" and gone in packin heat... a Hills sprayer full of Round-up... then if things got funky you could've gone all Al Pacino on their ass...
    "Okay, you wanna play rough... Say hello to my liddle friend!"

:p

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    That's funny,Yabbies.

7. MasterCATZ

MasterCATZ New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Gympie
  8. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    they also grow it a couple of K's from my place in the adelaide hills - must be a cool climate thing.
    prick to harvest tho