1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

RFF mods

Discussion in 'Filters - How to build - What type -' started by stimson, Feb 20, 2019.

1. stimson

stimson New Member

I have been using a RFF for years prior to my gravel grow bed and recently added an additional filter to the outlet pipe inside the filter to capture some of the fines.

It works well and thought of sharing the idea.

It consists of a piece of 100mm upvc pipe with 3 large slots cut on the sides. End cap glued on one end and then a hole cut in the end cap to slide over the 32dia outlet. The hole needs to be a firm fit over the outlet pipe. I then wrapped the 100dia pipe with fly screen and secured it with packaging tape. It slides over the outlet so water flows through the screen before heading off the the grow beds.

I started with a smaller 32dia pipe section first before adding the larger 100dia piece. This 32dia section holds the 100dia piece on the outlet pipe.

To clean i simply slide the pipes off and give them a blast with the hose and reasseble. Easy maintenance. Usually need to clean the screen every 4 days or so.

If you forget to clean the screen the water simply bypasses over the top.

I find this simpler than having to add additional inline drum filters as it all remains compact in one unit.

My RFF is a 100L wheelie bin from bunnings.

Attached Files:

2. stimson

stimson New Member

Dirty filters

Attached Files:

3. stimson

stimson New Member

My RFF inside and out

Attached Files: