1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

restart after short break

Discussion in 'Established Aquaponics systems' started by UndaToka, Nov 20, 2018.

1. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    a few months ago i suffered a disaster when my AC went down for a short time and the 12 volt backup pump failed, i had thought i had lost all my fish about 40 5 - 600 grm jade perch ( it was heart breaking )
    , so with my system apparently fishless i was just running with some seasol to keep plants alive , then i decided to lower my growbeds to make them more accessible , so to do this i emptied out the water from my fish tank and lo and behold i found 3 fat jade perches still alive ( without any food for about 4 or 5 months) so i transferred them to my smaller system which had also lost its fish (long story so i wont go into it ) , now i have rejigged my bigger system and ready to go again , i also had a sump with a grow bed on top that i kept going
    now my question is since it was sitting a few weeks without water in the main growbeds how long will it take for the bacteria to re-establish ? i have been peeing into the water every few days to supply some ammonia, and testing shows its about 2.5 or just a tad higher, pH is about 6.8 but has been trying to rise
    i planted out most of the GBs today so i think they will be ready to take up nutrients very soon so how long should i wait till i add more fish ?

2. Henry Johan

Henry Johan Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Jakarta
    City:
    Kelapa Gading
    if I'm not mistaken, you only need to cycle the system for a few days or so to make it stable?
    for me, I cycle the system and plant my crop for 2 week (because I'm lazy ass and keep forgetting to buy the fish)
    then put in the fish on the 2nd week (after checking and found the measurement is OK)

I'm wondering, how long did your black out last?
    I had a tank with 30-40 catfish and 4 plecos (cause I'm lazy to clean the tank, and after adding those plecos, the tank is squeaky clean from mold and fungus)
    somehow the fish manage to pull out the aerator stone and I only manage to fix the aerator after 3 days have passed
    it took me about 3 hour to drain the water from the tank manually (as I have limited space and did not think to add draining point for the fish tank)
    so they have at least 3-4 hour of same water and no oxygen whatsoever during those period
    I know catfish can live with low oxygen level, but I have no dead fish so far from this incident
    so I'm wondering if those fishes is really that weak?

3. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    the blackout was only for a few hours, however i have a safety switch that cuts off the 240 V if there's a problem, and another switch that turns on the 12V back up pumps pumps, and i didnt get around to flicking the switch back for a couple of days , thinking the 12V pump would be still circulating the water then when i went out i was greeted by dead fish floating on top , it took about a week for all the deaduns to float to the top

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hey UT,

The time taken to recycle the system will vary, but it should've had some residual bacteria hiding around the place, so shouldn't take the full 3 or 4 weeks it usually takes to cycle a new system.

To tell when it's safe to add your fish, you will need to stop adding any Ammonia, test the Amm & Nitrite levels every day, and when the Amm has dropped to 0.0ppm and the Nitrite has had it's corresponding spike and also dropped to 0.0ppm, then it's safe for fish. Bear in mind, there may have been residual bacteria , so you may get very little, or even no visible Nitrite spike. If it's 0.0ppm after the Amm has dropped to 0.0ppm, then the system is probs safe.

5. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
    well i put my wee fishies in .....and thats the last i have seen them , i put in some duckweed for them to nibble and fed them some pellets this morning but they wont come up enough for me to see them, the water isnt perfectly clean but not too bad , but now im about to re-jig the whole setup and divide it into 2 separate systems and expand the main one, with a DWC swirl filter and a few more smaller grow beds, will post pics soon