1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Red blotches on side of my fish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by JohnDDuff, Oct 30, 2017.

1. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    I recently bought some fish and within 3 days one of them have shown signs of red swollen blotches on their sides. Is this a bacterial infection and what is the best way to treat it. I have put in some salt but how much is suitable. pH is 6 or lower, ammonia is 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate was 40, water temp 22C. any advice would be greatly appreciated before I start loosing more.

Cheers
    John

2. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    This is what the fish looked like. Hope someone can help.

Attached Files:

3. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    Another one is coming down with the red markings on their sides. Have done a nearly complete water change and added more salt to the system to try and bring it back to 6ppt. any other help will be greatly appreciated. Just hope I don'tend up with them all dying before I get some other advice to what to do.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi John,

I'm not big on fish problems but I do know there has been some good conversation on salting, on this forum, you will probably need to use the search function.

Also search through for other issues like nitrite poisoning, too much ammonia and other issues. Also search for other fish ailments, sorry I'm in a hurry right now and can't quickly think of them off hand. I do remember reading quite a bit about things like this a while ago.

Have you finished your initial cycling?

What's the water readings now? nitrite, ammonia, nitrate pH and the tank temp now?
    You may find your water readings to be all over the place now you have nearly changed out all of the water so I'd be keeping an eye on them and if they increase treat it as starting cycling again.

Cheers.

5. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    Bigdaddy,
    sorry I have been away for a week and haven't gotten back to my problem. At least I haven't lost any more fish. My pH is 6, I only have a simple test kit so it could be lower, ammonia is 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 40 and temp is 16C and fluctuates during the day as it warms up. I am gradually adding more water to slowly dilute the salts as not all my plants like the extra salt in the system. what do you think?

Cheers

john

6. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    How are the fish John? Surviving?

7. JohnDDuff

JohnDDuff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Toowoomba
    Yes they are, thanks Murray. Not sure if it was the extra salt that I put in the tank or not but no more deaths and they seem to be OK. Nitrates still a little high but as more of the plants get established that should drop. I only have 10 barra in the system and they are only 15cm or so. Water temp also increasing. It is interesting to watch them watching you. they tend to swim on their sides a little looking up at the mean bugger looking at them. Little do they realize they are going to be tasty morsals.

Cheers
    John

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    John I'm the one who's sorry now,

Sorry for not getting back to you,

Try to ramp up the tank temps to well over 22 C Your barras optimum temp is around 24 C. You'll find they will be more lively and will grow quicker as their metabolism is good. Also bump up the pH to 6.4-6.6, you really don't want to go much lower than pH 6. They are a magnificent fish in my view. I love it when you feed them and they just float or slowly drift towards the floating pellet then bam! a great ambush fish. Call me silly but I always love tucker time for the fish. Your barra love the extra salt in the water...The question is however does your veges?....That's the issue...Watch out for excess salt it's burns the food and kills it dead...Quickly... I found that out the hard way...

I'm looking forward to regular reports on how it's all going.

Cheers