1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

ram pump for backup

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by giddion, Dec 4, 2015.

1. giddion

giddion New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Upwey
    Hi all,

I have seen some discussion around how one could utilise a ram pump within their AP system.

I was thinking for me, I am on a very steep slope so the gravity flow from the tanks into the sump could go into the ramp pump and then push back up the hill abou 20% of the inlet water, whilst still having the normal pump running.

So in the event of a power failure, I was thinking the ram pump would keep working for a period of time as it would be pumping up the hill some of the water that was within the system, how long I do not know. BUt if I also add a small battery backup pump that pumps water only a short distance up the hill, into a pre sump, and use that flow as input to the ram pump as well, it would offset a lot of the loss and hopefully keep the flow running for longer, long enough for the power to come back.

I hope that makes sense.

For me I have to move water up hill about an 8M head, so a backup pump either goes in the fish tank at the top of the slope, and if I have 3 fish tanks, I would need 3 of them I guess, or some other fancy plumbing. Anyway... I think this approach may work to keep a flow within the entire system for a while.

What do you think?