1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Anaerobic areas

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by LukeB, May 28, 2019.

1. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    Iv'e been looking at some kits online and I found this one (attached picture) would these beds get those anaerobic areas Murry was talking about on his DVD video since it's oddly shaped inside?

Attached Files:

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Any GB has the potential to develop anaerobic zones.

Avoiding, or reducing the likelihood of them developing, comes down to not only GB design, but also the operating method, ie: Constant Flood, Timed F&D or Siphoned F&D.

The GB in the picture would have a high likelihood of developing anaerobic zones if run as CF. If operated as F&D, especially siphoned F&D, it would be far less likely to occur.

The development of anaerobic zones in AP systems is greatly overstated on forums etc. Yes, in a badly designed system, or heavily stocked system, or a system where perennial plants are grown etc, there is far more likelihood of it occurring, and within a relatively short time frame, but in well designed, sensibly stocked systems, it can take many years for anaerobic zones to develop. I have had, seen and heard of systems running 4, 5, 6 and even 7 years before the GB's have required cleaning. Murray had one that went over 6 years.

Compared to soil veg gardening, if the worst you have to do with an AP system, is clean the GB's out every 4-7 years, I think you are still miles in front in regards to man hours and effort.

While definitely not desirable, anaerobic zones aren't something to be feared anywhere near as much as people hype it up, especially in systems with multiple GB's. A system developing them will give you signals in your water readings and it's not sudden, it will occur over a few weeks or months. If you have multiple GB's you simply take one off line at a time, clean it out, wait a couple of weeks, clean the next one, and so on until you've cleaned them all.

3. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    Ah cool thanks mate. Appreciate the thorough explanation. I'm going with the flood and drain method with an auto syphon. So I should be right with that setup on pic from your explanation as long as I am smart on what I do with the stocking and planting. Awesome.