1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Question about fish growth rate.

Discussion in 'Established Aquaponics systems' started by Peter Webber, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Peter Webber

Peter Webber Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Springwood
    Hi Guys,

Its been a long time since I have been on the forum and a lot has happened since my last post. Until 2016 I lived in Logan south of Brisbane and raised Jade perch in one of Murray's Homestead kits . The Jades would typically grow out in 9 to 12 months and maybe one or two of the smaller fish would die if temperatures got very low and my feed supplier was based in south Brisbane.

In 2014 My wife and I bought a 50 acre lot in Northern NSW. The house needed a bit of work so when I relocated my AP kit it was idle for a few years. In 2018 I built my new greenhouse and started my kit back up around December that year. As winters can be colder here I stocked my kit with Silver perch as despite their longer grow out time, I heard they are hardier and so far I have had not a single loss.

The problem is that since that time most of my fish have barely grown and the few that have I would estimate as only about 9cm long. I am using Laucke Mills Fish Food as my old supplier has shut up shop. Im wondering if its the feed, or if its something else I haven't considered? Has anyone else experienced this?

Its been almost 2 years and I would have expected them to be a bit further along by now.