1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Pond-grow bed-raft; need a swirl filter?

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by chily3, Feb 20, 2019.

1. chily3

chily3 New Member

czech rep
    State:
    czech rep
    City:
    ostrava
    Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for your help. I have some experiences with aquarium aquaponic (approx 100 l system), but this is something else and I would like to consult this with the skilled users.

It is necessary to use swirl filter in the setup I describe below?

Buddy has a pond on backyard since June 2018, he's got trouts there and some perches there. The volume of the pond is approx 30,000 liters and is placed in shadow. He use pond filter GREEN RESET 100L (2x25W UV-C, 100 l volume, 16 000 l/h).

We got the idea to make the aquaponic system and connect it to the pond by another pump. The AP system includes grow bed (750 liters of gravel) and raft (400 l volume). I design the system with swirl filter unit, but I would like to ask you if this is unnecessary. The raft should be clean, because the grow bed also works as a mechanical filter. But what growbed? Will it be necessary to filter the water from the mechanical particles from the pond? Should we add a worms, which could reduce detritus, but will it be enough in the outdoor environment?

Swirl filter serve as "waterworks", where I can reduce all flows and shut down both grow units independently. When we make it withoutthree blue swirl filters it will be simpler and cheaper, but in grow bed will not be filtered water.

How would you do that?

Thanks a lot for the reaction, I hope I wrote all the information about the problem

I apologize for my English and thank you for your help and your opinions.

Attached Files:

• 01.png
      01.png
      File size:
      413.6 KB
      Views:
    • 02.png
      02.png
      File size:
      332.2 KB
      Views:
    • 03.png
      03.png
      File size:
      223.7 KB
      Views:
    • 04.png
      04.png
      File size:
      198.7 KB
      Views:
    • 05.png
      05.png
      File size:
      167.2 KB
      Views:
    • 06.png
      06.png
      File size:
      191.9 KB
      Views:
    • 07.png
      07.png
      File size:
      153.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    If the gravel grow bed was operated as Constant Flood, or well designed siphoned Flood & Drain, then the swirl filter most likely wouldn't be needed.

The fact you'll be drawing from such a large body of water, especially if the water isn't drawn from the very bottom, will mean there will be far less particulates in the water compared to a smaller, more densely stocked system with a much higher ratio of fish to water.

There is also another option you could consider in regards to mechanical filtration and water flow through the system, while still keeping a similar layout to what you have. I'm a bit busy ATM, but will knock up a diagram when I get a few minutes.

3. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    As I mentioned in the last post, with such a large body of water and if you weren't drawing from the very bottom of the pond, there should be very little in the way of fish waste fines going into the AP system, especially if the pond is also running a filter. If you ran the configuration in the pic below, you could still allow those fish waste fines through to the media GB, where worms, bacteria, mycorrhizae, enzymes etc, could break them down, freeing up the nutrients within them, but it would also filter out any fines that do make it through the media GB, before they get to the DWC GB. The filter being beneath the top GB would also mean the system requires less space.

Attached Files:

4. chily3

chily3 New Member

czech rep
    State:
    czech rep
    City:
    ostrava
    Thanks for the reply!

I would like to keep the bell siphon, and your sketch seems to be constant flood grow bed, am I right?

Well, I thought about the filter under GB, I'll try to sketch it and get it here.

5. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!... In that pic it's CF. I'm not a huge fan of CF either. Depending on how much room you've got between the bottom of the GB and top of the RFF, you could utilise a bell siphon and still make it work. However, the RFF would work better with constant, slower flow, rather than a huge dump of water 4 or 5 times an hour.

6. chily3

chily3 New Member

czech rep
    State:
    czech rep
    City:
    ostrava
    01.png 02.png 03.png 04.png 05.png 06.png pumpSelect.jpg Hey growers!

So I found the time to do it all. The "filter" is under GB .. It's rather water management system than filter. Euro box is connected with raft by pipe for principle communicating vessels. The water level in eurobox is determined by the overflow (PVC knee) in raft bed.

Grow bed will drain through affnans siphon outlet into eurobox, the water flows from the eurobox to the raft bed and from there back to pond through big orange pipe.

The raft bed is continuously filled with a bypass pipe through eurobox. If the principle communicating vessels dont take a volume of water from grow bed, eurobox have overflow too.

What do you think, is it suitable or too complicated?

The styrofoam board on the raft bed will not float but hang over the surface. We'll probably air it, I saw it works without air, but I'll be calmer when bubbler (DWC) is bubbling. :D

I haven't bought a pump yet, will you help me a little? Will it be enough?
    Max head: 4,5 m
    Flow rate: 9500 l/h
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquafort...191684?hash=item2cea7670c4:g:gLEAAOSwTpVc3HMm

Thanks!

01.png 02.png 03.png 04.png 05.png 06.png