1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Please critique my AP design idea

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by dbldx2c, Mar 3, 2016.

1. dbldx2c

dbldx2c New Member

USA
    State:
    CA
    City:
    Nipomo
    Hi all,

Unplugged my old system and am going to start over with a new design. I'd love to hear your feedback. See the PDF attached. Thank you!
    BTW, it will be located inside a greenhouse and located on the coast of CA.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Sweets

Bob Sweets New Member

United States
    State:
    Oklahoma
    City:
    Grove
    Looks neat. Wish i had that kind of cash to get a system like that going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3. ECDDan

ECDDan New Member

USA
    State:
    Missouri USA
    City:
    Independence.
    Nice system but seems overly complicated... are so many filters required?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. dbldx2c

dbldx2c New Member

USA
    State:
    CA
    City:
    Nipomo

Thanks ECDDan. My thought is to do it right..... this time. I had the IBC tote style fish tanks & blue barrel swirl filter in my original system and had nothing but trouble and maintenance with them. Ever try to remove the solids from the bottom of a blue barrel or the corner of the IBC tote fish tank? Even with an electric transfer pump it wasn't all that easy with hoses, PVC pipe and buckets strung out all over to make it happen. This time, I also don't want to entirely count on my growbeds for solids removal, bio mass or mineralization so the hope is to remove as much of the solids as possible blended with a minimal level of daily maintenance = less frustration :)

5. ECDDan

ECDDan New Member

USA
    State:
    Missouri USA
    City:
    Independence.
    Well with all your planning it should alleviate that but I'd look at it as a ratio issue between volume of grow beds/fish tank size/flow rate my self. I do believe that there is quite a bit of flexibility and several ways to "skin a cat" if you know what I mean. Keep us posted and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dbldx2c likes this.
  6. DannyPM

DannyPM Member

Mozambique
    State:
    Maputo
    City:
    Maputo
    Filtering wise it's an overkill and it does increase maintenance work. I liked your design btw.

7. Derekjordaan

Derekjordaan New Member

South Africa
    State:
    Western Cape
    City:
    Moorreesburg
    I don't think you can overkill on filtration when it comes to DWC. Looks good to me.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

8. Dave Keck

Dave Keck New Member

USA
    State:
    California
    City:
    Oceanside
    Dbldx2c,

My assumptions are that you want “great” filtering and ease/minimum maintenance.

I would consider a Radial Flow Filter/Separator in place of the clarifier tank (swirl filter). There are only minor modifications to what you have drawn to convert it. The “dumping” of the contents can be automated with a solenoid valve into the mineralization tank.

The removal of the “clarified” fluids of the mineralization tank can also be automated with the addition of a venturi type “straw” to mix right into the input water for the beds.

By using the 70 micron filter in the sieve filter you will be collecting particles that are 70 microns and larger. What I have been told by others who are using the sieve screen is that the solids removal is an on going pain. In your drawing you have a lower drain right into the bottom sieve tank and an additional higher tube also into the same tank. Should the line from the sieve tank to the Matala 10 filter get clogged there is nowhere for the water to go and the sump could be almost depleted. With careful monitoring this should not be a problem. The “real” overflowing seems to happen when the filter bag gets clogged. Perhaps more and/or larger filter bags with an overflow pipe above the filter of the sediment collector would be the solution?

With all this filtering already done (water should be free of 70 microns and larger particles) there is not much left to do. The “Matala 10” off the shelve system replicates much of what you have already done. The Nitrogen Cycle (biological filter/conversion) is all that is left to accomplish. I would consider instead an up flow filter using K-1 or similar items. Cleaning can be accomplished by injecting air (bubbling) and then let the “gunk” settle to bottom before partial draining into the Mineralization tank.

Not sure you need the electromagnetic solenoid for the SLO since when the power is off the fish tank level will only drop to the top the input of the SLO. With the way it looks the input to the fish tank is such that the line will “open” once the water is lowered below the horizontal input bar therefore no siphoning will take place. Consider also adding an additional line from the fish tank at the same height as the top of the SLO to take the relatively clean water (most of the solids will have settled) directly to the sieve filter since the RFF will not collect the small micron particles.

Overall I think this system will give you the ability to have a heavy fish density and still maintain a “clean” operating system.

9. dbldx2c

dbldx2c New Member

USA
    State:
    CA
    City:
    Nipomo
    Hi Dave

Thanks for the great feedback. You sound like you know what you are talking about, I sure appreciate that! I didn't know there was such a significant difference between the Radial Flow Filter/Separator and the clarifier tank. I'm definitely going to go with the RFS. Thank you! I found one to pattern mine off of here http://www.w-m-t.com/Products/Radial_Flow_Settler.php
    Since I posted my new system design, I've realized that the shut off solenoid was not going to do anything. Not sure why I thought it would HA!

The design idea for the mechanical filter was born via
    with some modifications and provisions for overflow should the sediment collector screen, in the 5 gallon bucket, become blocked. I know that in my drawing it shows the overflow pipe under the 5 gallon filter but in reality it'll go above, otherwise, what would be the point? Sorry for the confusion.

I don't expect that the 2" line between the mechanical filter and the Matala 10 step could ever become blocked, Surely devastating to the system if it should somehow. Maybe I should add an overflow pipe from the mechanical filter blue barrel straight to the growbeds?

As for the Matala 10 step, it is my bio filter with 200 sq ft of surface area for the beneficial bacteria growth. , There website claims that it will handle a 2,700 gallon pond. At this point in the system flow, sufficient filtration of solids has already been achieved. I already have this filter saved from my old system so not really looking to junk it unless I have to. Do you think this type of filter will not promote or is inadequate to promote the Nitrogen cycle?

I look forward to your reply. Thanks again Dave, I always appreciate sound advice!