1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

plants suffering - all of them

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Jaromir, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jaromir

Jaromir New Member

Switzerland
    State:
    Luzern
    City:
    Luzern
    We have a relatively young AP system - a few months old (700l FT - two GB 1:1 ratio. . one flood&drain and the other GB is a constant flood)

When I was on holidays the Oase BioPress pressure filter broke down (thanks to Murphy's Law - yes. . I didn't had a backup pump ready)

My friend couldn't get the system up and running again > watered the plants "by hand". . with water from the FT (did their best. . I know it is me to blame).

The air pump was still operating - all fish survived (so far)

But the plants don't look healthy - there is a plant disease spreading. First the leaf has some white/yellow or brownish parts. . second lots of small black dots appear. To shoot in the dark - downy mildew?!

The fans were out of order as well > up and running again.

I have removed the "infected" leafs from the plants. . but took some pics before > I am very happy for any advice on this. .

Thank you very much for your brainpower and time
    Jaromir

Attached Files:

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    The plants in some of the pics do look as though they may have a powdery mildew. The best you could do is remove the worst affected plants and the affected leaves from others, as you've done, and ensure good airflow through the growing area to keep humidity down. You could also spray the plants with Potassium bicarbonate, Potassium silicate (such as Budlink) or try a 1:9 milk and water solution.

Have you checked the plants thoroughly for any insects as well?... some of the leaves look as though they may also have mite damage or similar.

3. Jaromir

Jaromir New Member

Switzerland
    State:
    Luzern
    City:
    Luzern
    Hey Yabbies,

Thanks a lot for your fast respond. You had a closer look at the pics. . you are right - someone did eat a bit of the leafs of our Paprika. But it grew outside and due to the weather we decided to take it indoors > it happen outside in the "dirt" garden not in the AP system.

I have checked for insect/pest and couldn't find any evidence. We did had a problem with aphids about two month ago - ordered some ladybug larva from Biocontrol in Andermatt > we could tackle the problem with their help.

Are you sure it is powdery mildew? For me it looks very much like downy mildew - even thought I am nae expert.

The white stuff doesn't come off/washes away. . it is more transparent/absence of Chlorophyll and the small black dots aren't common for powdery mildew, init?

Here an other picture from an affected salad leaf

IMG_3877.JPG

4. Johannes Lim

Johannes Lim New Member

Philippines
    State:
    Manila
    City:
    Manila
  5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    This is a very old post. The leaf sure does look sad.
    We should never forget that the primary input for any system is the fish food.

6. Jaromir

Jaromir New Member

Switzerland
    State:
    Luzern
    City:
    Luzern
    forgot about this post. but hey.. why not share some good news too! the plants are much more healthy - check out the pics. they were suffering from pest (mostly Thrips), we looked into IPM, increased the air flow, keep removing the worst affected leaves, imported some beneficial bugs every now and then and used Murray's Molasses spray from time to time. seems to work! Thank everyone for the good advices - especially Yabbies4me :)

Attached Files: