1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe Heating Cable

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by GrowTech, Jul 1, 2014.

1. GrowTech

GrowTech Member

2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Those are really only meant for keeping the water in the pipe from freezing. Since the water is always moving in AP, you shouldn't have any frozen pipe issues. If you are thinking about actually heating your tanks with that technology, you will not be satisfied with the results as heat tape will not efficient at all.

If you need to heat the water AND you need to use electricity to do it, best to use a submersible heater of some sort. That will give you the best bang for your buck on power consumed. Additionally, choose a fish that survives in your local ponds all winter and set your heaters so they only come on at a very low temperature. (See my response to your other post on my winter time thread. I ended up literally spending 200-300 dollars this winter keeping 500 gallons of water up at 70 F.)

3. GrowTech

GrowTech Member

Well I'm glad I asked here before floating the bill for heating cable, that stuff is a little pricey.

I'm in Oklahoma and plan on using Fathead Minnows in my starter system because of their low cost and durability, maybe I'll just stick with them until I can figure out an economical heating option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk