1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. peter lica

peter lica Member

australia
    State:
    wa
    City:
    geraldton
    Can anybody tell me what these pests are please and how to get rid of them thanks uploadfromtaptalk1463280404263.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Aphids. Got any ladybugs available?

3. peter lica

peter lica Member

australia
    State:
    wa
    City:
    geraldton
    I will hve to find some

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4. Pamela Murry

Pamela Murry New Member

United States
    State:
    CA
    City:
    Santa Clara
    How you got rid of aphids? We are also facing aphids problem in my garden and I just hate it as they destroy the plants quickly. We have to get some ladybugs in our garden and also sprayed a mixture of water and a little dishwashing detergent over the aphids. The problem was solved for few days. But now this aphids problem have started to trouble us. Will it be better to consult the professionals like pest inspection Roseville to know what can be done? They may also suggest some chemicals that do not harm our plants. Hope the problem is recovered soon!

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    The ladybugs are good, but most aphids are brought in by ants, so controlling ants is the first step. We have had good success spraying with Eucalyptus oil . 30 ml in a 5 ltr container. and do that 3 or 4 times a week until you get on top of them.

Also in the USA, you can buy a good organic approved spray called Botaniguard 22 WP. Will get rid of most soft-bodied insects such as aphids and whitefly.

I hope this helps.

6. Abhishek Dutta

Abhishek Dutta New Member

India
    State:
    Maharastra
    City:
    Pune
    Hi Murray,
    In my aquaponics setup, I did find leech like insect which is eating on spinach leaves. This looks like a leach with a sucker-like appendages on both the extremities of body. Image attached herewith. Kindly let me know how to control this kind of pest and what could probably be the name of this pest?

Attached Files:

7. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hard to say for sure from that pic, but looks like it may be a looper, which is a type of caterpillar. If so, then manually removing as many as possible then spraying with a bacillus thuringiensis based product, such as Dipel, early in the morning every few days will help control them.