1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Passionate Newbie Northern Vic

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sideshow, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Echuca
    Gday to all;-) Glad to have finally signed in after reading and creeping through the forum for nearly a year. I am super excited about starting my own system, and have oodles of ideas and theories to dive into. A friend once told me, a fool learns by his mistakes, a wise man, by the mistakes of others. The saying rings very true here, with mountains of experiences and systems to see was has worked, failed and has potential. Big thanks to Murray, he has been the inspiration for my passion to enter into the world of aquaponics, proud to see a leader that has a vision with benefits to all before profit. In saying that, coincidentally, The Murray River is my home, Echuca specifically, and profit is in the back of my mind, down the track, but my immediate goal is to feed my small, but growing family, optimal tucker, while learning and educating together to help improve and change the way our current agricultural footprint is failing. My short term lookout involves a greenhouse, a system large enough to supply my extended family with their plant needs. Long term, I hope to be part of a large co-op business, that has a diverse income, from art to coffee, produce to livestock, accomodation to recycled scrap. Anyone that has any insight or advice, please do tell, also anyone looking to join in, shout out:)

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Sideshow, welcome to the forum!

3. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    wow good stuff - looking forward to the photos of your progress.

4. Clive Denholm

Clive Denholm Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Whittlesea
    If you ever want to drive down the Hume to Southern Victoria (Whittlesea), you are very welcome to have a look at a system similar to what you want to build. 25,000 litres water, 50sqm growing area, plus some towers. Text me on 0407 454 468 if you are in the area. Clive.

5. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Echuca
    Thanks for that offer Clive, I certainly will if and when I get down there:)

6. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Echuca
    So I procrastinated, a lot, and had another child which has kept me busy. Three boys now I have, however, finally managed to get my butt into gear and started my first project. It’s a little unorthodox and I am a total newbie so learning a lot as I go. The plan is a 12”x 6” greenhouse. It will house 36 20litre individual grow buckets and another 36 x 20litre buckets doubled as foundation and temperature stabilisers. There will be a 6” tank at the back with 200litres of sump water underneath. Above that will be 2 filters, swirl and biological. I will start out with basic veggies and silver perch in the tank and yabbies in the sumpwith duckweed on top. The whole setup will be powered by a 300w solar panel and a 160amp hour deep cycle battery. I have 2x 1000lph 23w 12v pumps and a 65lph 35w air pump. I am using 26mm bio balls in the bio filter. Total cost so far is around $2,000 with maybe another $500 to come. I have been fortunate enough to get the pavers ( thanks Marcia!) and the buckets for free. Everything else is new or recycled. The pavers retain the days heat as do the buckets underneath the benches and grow buckets. Stay tuned for some pics... If anyone has any ideas, constructive criticism, wisdom and so on, please do tell... thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Echuca
  8. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Echuca
    Can anyone please help me with 240v backup auto switch if my 12v system fails? I have a 300w solar panel with MPPT controller and a 12v 160 ah battery. This is the off grid power I want to use as my primary constant source. In the case of power failure on 12v system, I'd like the system to switch over automatically to 240v as the hothouse is only 5 metres away from my shed. I can trench the power across and have 240v power point on the site. What I need is a switch that registers the fault and switches over. Something that notifies me would be even better. Wifi is also on. Cheers in advance:)

9. Henry Johan

Henry Johan New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Jakarta
    City:
    Kelapa Gading
    I think this will goes to the side of electrical automation

you could set up a simple relay box that will switch the power from "solar panel line" to the "backup line"
    however I think you should convert the "backup line" from 240v AC to 12v DC before the relay box point
    for alarm, you could also put some default speaker on the relay box, so that when the main input (solar panel line) is off, it will switch to the 12v "backup line" as well as the alarm speaker (not so sure about the digital alarm, there might be some product out there)

or if all the words I said is confusing, better consult with electrician near your area :)

10. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    You can get solar controllers that will do that. I have one. It is "Giant" brand. It automatically selects solar, or battery, or mains whichever is available. Got it from a mob in Mildura.