1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Only very small system but it has taken over my life.

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by pacarner, Feb 2, 2016.

1. pacarner

pacarner New Member

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Birkenhead
    Hello There
    Thought I would put this post up have read so much good information over the last few months, It's time to share.

I started a system in October last year, someone was getting rid of a few barrels of which the intention was to grow vegies in the dirt.....

Well after cutting a barrel in half and standing back with a glass of cider. BANG something clicked in my head and I remembered a previous conversation regarding Aquaponics.

It has now taken over my life....

The plan is to add another grow bed to this one but that is about it.
    Planning a separate system elsewhere in the garden probably IBC's

Well what do you think? can you see any issues? Cladding on December 2015.jpg No Cladding900x900.jpg
    And thanks to everyone involved with post's and information I have spent hours looking up issues as they have come up. It really has been helpful.
    keep up the good work.
    Paul
    The first picture was taken in December just after the system had fished cycling.
    The second was two weeks ago I removed the cladding to insulate the fish tank.

wolffman201 and Mel Redcap like this.
  2. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Nifty little system , looks really neat well done.

3. pacarner

pacarner New Member

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Birkenhead
    Thanks Ringer.
    Pretty pleased with it, planning the next one now.

4. CJ1

CJ1 New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Evanston
    Good job, tidy system you have there, aquaponics is a great beneficial hobby, even my wife and two daughters love seeing it and getting involved. I've just started on my second IBC, very addictive.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

5. pacarner

pacarner New Member

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Birkenhead
    Thanks CJ
    I have learnt quite a lot over the last few months.
    Still a long way to go though.

6. pacarner

pacarner New Member

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Birkenhead
    Just added the extra grow bed and sump tank.
    I have played around with a few different poly sizes mostly to see what would happen 15mm Bell siphon to new sump and 25mm slo from new sump to old.

There are a few things i am unsure about but looking at other posts the new water should cycle itself pretty quickly????
    And I am relying on the movement of water for aeration, would anyone add any more?

New gb and st.jpg

7. CJ1

CJ1 New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Evanston
    Mate, from what I can see you are doing a great job, like I said previously nice tidy system, the danger is its so easy to keep the system growing :thumbsup2:

8. pacarner

pacarner New Member

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Birkenhead
    I think this system is at its max. Next is an IBC or maybe two for fish and then some sleeper grow beds and then... and then... and then...
    Now a beer....AH relax breath.......

CJ1 likes this.
  9. ECDDan

ECDDan New Member

USA
    State:
    Missouri USA
    City:
    Independence.
    Pacarner, your original post headline said "Only a very small system but it has taken over my life", ultimately are you saying that as a good thing or its taking way too much time? You have a great looking system, clearly you've spent LOTS of time getting it looking and functioning right, thumbs up!
    Just keep us posted...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. pacarner

pacarner New Member

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Birkenhead
    ECDan Yes it's a good thing. I do hope and assume that in the near future it will take up a little less time as I work things out.
    Two of my friends are considering starting up so that is a good thing too.

ECDDan likes this.