1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

nutrient deficiency

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Abhishek Dutta, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Abhishek Dutta

Abhishek Dutta New Member

India
    State:
    Maharastra
    City:
    Pune
    My Aquaponics system pH is 7.6, ammonia 2.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 2.5. Most of the Iceberg lettuce plants are turning light green in colour from dark green. As I understand issue could be due to insufficient nutrients.. Would you suggest here to add any supplements from outside to fix this problem?

I am adding sea weed extract twice in a week.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi AD,

A bit more information will be required if were are to try helping you solve the issue.

(a). How old is the system?... How long have the fish been in?
    (b). What does the system consist of, ie: Gravel grow beds, Deep Water Culture beds, solids removal, Fish Tank volume etc?
    (c). How many fish, what type. what size, what are you feeding them?
    (d). Other than the lettuce, what other plants are in the system?
    (e). What is you local climate like at the moment, temp, humidity etc?... Is there a shadehouse over the system?
    (f). What is the water temp?... Is it well aerated?
    (g). Some photo's of the affected plants would help. Pic's of the whole plant, plus close up pics of the worst affected leaves.

Cheers!

3. Abhishek Dutta

India
    State:
    Maharastra
    City:
    Pune
    Hi Team,

a). How old is the system?... How long have the fish been in?
    5 month old system and fishes are in for last 3 months.

(b). What does the system consist of, ie: Gravel grow beds, Deep Water Culture beds, solids removal, Fish Tank volume etc?
    2 gravel grow beds and 4 DWC. For solids removal, I am using swirl filter and fish tank volume is 2000 liter.

(c). How many fish, what type. what size, what are you feeding them?
    Rohu and Catla (common carp) fishes are there with 3. inch length. I am feeding them with pelleted feed.

(d). Other than the lettuce, what other plants are in the system?
    Other than lettuce, I have basil, tomato, Pok choi & kale.

(e). What is you local climate like at the moment, temp, humidity etc?... Is there a shadehouse over the system?
    Yes, system is under shadehouse and temperature is 32 degree centigrade and humidity 53%.

(f). What is the water temp?... Is it well aerated?
    Water temperature is 23 degree centigrade and it is well aerated.

(g). Some photo's of the affected plants would help. Pic's of the whole plant, plus close up pics of the worst affected leaves.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z9u4VAo7M4kzv_h9vBc6lZL41_NPXwwI/view?usp=sharing

4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    It looks as though there is definitely an Iron deficiency, which could be caused by one or all of the following combined:

- High pH. This will drop with time. In the meantime, adding EDDHA chelated Iron will solve the deficiency issue.
    - Planting fruiting plants in a young system. Ideally should only be leafy greens for first 4-6 months.
    - Fish food. Commercial grade feed is preferable, ie: Skretting, Gold fish/Koi feed is lacking, especially for tomatoes.
    - Removal of solids from system. Ideally they should be treated in a digester and the nutrient rich water returned.

5. Abhishek Dutta

India
    State:
    Maharastra
    City:
    Pune
    Thanks Administrator.
    In my geographical region, EDDHA Chelated iron seems to be very costly. Is there any other alternative we can use?
    Can ferrous sulphate be sprayed on the leaves? Kindly suggest. If yes, what is the dosage?

6. Abhishek Dutta

India
    State:
    Maharastra
    City:
    Pune
    What is the method of administration and dosage of EDDHA Chelated iron?

7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Adding it directly to the water in the sump tank or fish tank is fine.

Dosage would depend on the percentage of available Iron in the product, which varies with brands, usually somewhere between 5% and 11%.

There are a number of Youtube videos etc stating that a level of 2.0ppm must be maintained. I believe this came about from the UVI papers, but that level was required in their set-up because of conditions unique to their system.

I can tell you from experience, in most systems with media filled grow beds, that level of Iron is not required for good plant growth. If you did achieve that rate using EDDHA Iron, your water would be blood red and you will not be able to see your fish.

Not an overly scientific approach, but I can tell you that with the brand I currently sell, which contains 6% Iron, half a level teaspoon (using proper measuring spoons) into 1,000L, will correct Iron chlorosis within days, and will not turn your water blood red.

Redosing at that rate every 4-6 weeks (depending on type and amount of plants) keeps most systems growing healthy.