1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

New Aquaponics System design help

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by Tarzankob, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Tarzankob

Tarzankob New Member

United States
    State:
    New York
    City:
    City
    Hello all,
    Looking to create an aquaponic system. I have a large amount of greenhouse space, looking to utilize primarily DWC and focus less on fish more on vegetable production.
    I have 4 DWC troughs built which are 20'x6'x1', 4 media beds that are 4'x4'x1', with the materials on site to make swirl filters from 55 gallon drums and or tote biofilters (screens/sponges).
    I understand I will need a large input of waste to grow in the DWC sites. So I will be using 275 Gallon IBC Totes as fish tanks. Will 4 stocked IBC Totes be adequate space for the fish? I am considering goldfish but unsure the stocking on those (1lb 5-10gal?). It is easier to picture if broken down into 4 micro systems that will come together to create the entire system.

SO breaking it down individually----

275 Gallon Tote-> 55Gal drum Swirl Filter ->4'x4'x1' Media Bed->20'x6'x1' DWC trough and then back to the fish tank. Does this sound impractical? if so why, also what fish stocking density would make this all come together.

Thanks,
    TKOB

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi TKOB,
    Sounds like it should work for you. That will be a good medium sized home system that will work well for you. Why not use some edible fish instead of gold fish?
    Stocking densities. Yes there are a good number of threads in the forum about that subject.

3. Tarzankob

Tarzankob New Member

United States
    State:
    New York
    City:
    City
    Thank you, working on the fish part as some things fell through this past fall. Now I am considering rearing tilapia but financially it's not practical right now. Edible fish is definitely the route I would prefer to use. I will be growing a variety of baby greens for a restaurant, the chef has tried tilapia from an aquaponics farm and did not care for the taste. So financially he will purchase all the greens I can produce so I will worry about edible fish a little down the road. This is going to be somewhat of a prototype as I plan on expanding by replicating this system.