1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

mystery fish

Discussion in 'What Fish is that ?' started by gudgeon, Apr 4, 2010.

1. gudgeon

gudgeon New Member

hi folks caught 2 fish in local creek yesterday and not sure what they are. At 1st I thought they were Tilapia, but some googling proved that theory incorrect.
    I believe they are a perch, just not sure which variety. They do have dark bars running vertically as can be seen in pics 002 and 007. They were caught in a tributury of the Fitzroy just upstream of the barrage. Any help identifiying these fish would be appreciated. They seem to like my bath tub AP setup.
    Cheers Brian

Attached Files:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Gudgeon,
    I had a client here late Friday afternoon and I showed him the photos you posted above.
    He said without hesitation that the fish is a Banded Grunter (Amniataba percoides) and that would appear to be true.

Here is a read on the fish which states that they are now to be found as far south as the Clarence River in NNSW.

3. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Indeed they are, both "banded grunter"... and found in the Clarence river around Grafton...

They've been branded a "noxious" fish... and there are signs all around Grafton outlining the policy of report and destroy any catches... and the penalties applied for keeping/translocating the species...