1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My talaipia won't eat

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by ccynthiafaith, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ccynthiafaith

ccynthiafaith New Member

USA
    State:
    florida
    City:
    new port richey
    They have been eating good. But today they wouldn't eat at all. I feed them fish food for pond fish and have given them duckweed and they would not eat that at all . Worms occasionally. Would really appreciate some help figuring out why . Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2. adz

adz Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Regional Victoria
    Hi ccynthiafaith. How old are your fish and system?
    What are your water reading? And whats your water temperature like, if its too cold fish will stop eating.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Sometimes they just stop eating for a while. Fishermen all over the world are always trying to figure that one. Why aren't they biting today? Is often the question, and mostly without an answer.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi folks,

Yes sometimes they will stop eating for no apparent reason ...I found with my Barramundi they slowed down thier eating when the water temp went under 22C and at 20 C they just about stopped eating...I believe tilapia are a tropical fish so if the water temp does drop to being quite cold I would think they would certainly slow down thier eating until it warmed up again...

Cheers.

5. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi,
    I can almost guarantee , if all is fine one day then no feeding the next unless stressed by a preditor (unlikely) they are definitely responding to an environmental que. Often a change in temp , Ph or any other chemical change will make them "switch off" , also big changes in weather can effect them , even in a tank. Don't stress , fish can go weeks without eating . A starve day once a week if fed everyday , is both good for fishes gut function and vitality and your water condition as well. Typically , fat fish are unhealthy fish (unless in breeding condition).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. Garrett Kondo

Garrett Kondo New Member

Us
    State:
    Hawaii
    City:
    Ewa beach
    I know when it's cold they will not eat. But I'm in hawaii if anything it's hot water evaporates very fast. So the explanation that sometimes they don't eat. I have 2 neighbors around me with fish and they are not eating either. Nature taking its course is the acceptable explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk